Why does this always happen

New To This
New To This Posts: 40
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
New bike only riden 6/7 times and I'm having problems selecting the big ring and small ring (front) - I'm sure there are technical terms but as you see I'mnew to this.

Take it to the LBS and on their rack there is no problem!!

Also seem to have a slight creak in the crank that they couldnt replicate either!!!

So what do I do next?

Any ideas what might need tightening or adjusting?

Thanks

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    On the left side of the down tube there is a knob which you can turn, one way tightens the cable and the other way loosens it, probably best to do it while riding, try changing to the large or small chainwheel and if the chain refuses to switch then try turning the knob one way or the other way.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Often symptoms that manifest themselves when YOU ride the bike, don't show themselves on the workstand. I'm guessing that your bike is still under warranty, take it back, get the mechanic to take it for a ride, then hopefully the issues you are having with selecting between the large and small chainring, will become obvious to the mechy.As for the crank creak, is everything tightened up? what type of bike is it? do you have square tapered axles on your crank, or Shimano Hollotech/Campag Ultra Torque cranks with large Diametre hollow axles?

The gear selection could be something as simple as a stretched cable, but I'm sure the mechy would have spotted that?!

Take it back and get them to do a thorough service, if they haven't already done this,it is part of the sale, first service after couple hundred miles to tighten cabling, re adjust front and Rear Deraillieur if required and true wheels that have bedded in.

Hope this helps.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I thought I had crank creak a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be loose seat bolt. Obviously my buttocks were moving in synch with my thighs and the resulting noise was just coming from 'down there' somewhere and seemed to be rotation oriented

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!