Wider tyres for Mavic MA2 rims?

dannygcp
dannygcp Posts: 151
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I have some (fairly old) 700c wheels built with Mavic MA2 rims. Normally I ride with 23cm tyres but am going to be doing the Hadrian's Wall cycle route this summer which seems to involve quite a bit of off road riding.

To save my back and butt from damage I thought I would fit some wider tyres but am unsure how big I can go. I have previously used 25cm tyres without a problem, but wonder if I should go for 28cms on this occasion.

Will tyres that big fit my Mavic rim?

Also as my bike has narrow mudguards would mudguard clearance be an issue?

Comments

• pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    [You mean mm, not cm]

Yes, 28mm tyres are fine on MA2 rims.

In fact <b>3</b>8mm tyres can be used with MA2s - as long as the pressure isn't terribly high.

Mudguard and frame clearance will be the limiting factors. The limit depends on your bike and mudguards and exactly how the mudguards are fitted (and if they can be adjusted). It'll be worth a try.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • dannygcp
    Thanks and sorry about confusion of mm and cms - I do know the difference but must have been having a brainstorm when I was typing.[:I]
  • drossall
    drossall Posts: 21
    Yes, 28cm sounds scary but I use 28mm on MA2s regularly [;)]
  • dannygcp
    If it is not a stupid question are bigger tyres just wider or will they be deaper as well?

I am asking because there is quite a bit of space between the sides of my current tyres, but not very much between the riding surface of the tyre and the mudguard.

And how big should I go in terms of comfort when riding on unpaved Sustrans type tracks. I rarely ride on non-tarmaced roads, partly because it is so uncomfortable on 23mm tyres.
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Bigger tyres are indeed deeper as well as wider - by about the same amount.

For unpaved tracks, I would simply fit the biggest tyres that could be fitted (with some reasonable clearance). I would even consider different mudguards if any different ones would help. Maybe even take the mudguards off.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>