2 Bianchi Questions

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I want a Bianchi but i want it in Celeste (that beautiful blue colour that they come in!) but the compagnalo bike i want only comes in white... so here are the questions -
1. Should i sacrifice the colour?
2. Should i get a bianchi with shimano 105 or with Campagnolo VELOCE?

I only ask because ive been told a bianchi bike with shimano was disgraceful. I've been using sora on my old bike so im used to the extra button to change gear so thats not an issue

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg

Comments

• Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I always think Campag looks better on a classic Italian bike, but then I'm pro-Campag anyway.
  • spasypaddy
    can you explain why campag looks better? surely one gear with teeth is the same as another gear with teeth?

• Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    Paddy, go for the celeste bike. It's so pretty and everyone will immediately recognise it as a bianchi!! The alternative is to get the white one sprayed??????
  • spasypaddy
    its such a tough decision as the only difference between the two (apart from the groupset) is the colour and price. Celeste is œ100 more. Its on a cycle to work scheme so the money isnt a worry. Is 105 worth œ100 more than veloce? I know the colour is worth the œ100

• Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

can you explain why campag looks better? surely one gear with teeth is the same as another gear with teeth?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The cables under the bartape for a start, plus Carbon (only if you go for top end stuff!)
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    After advice on here I went for the Veloce over the 105, its a good peice of kit. What was strange at first the Campag costantly clicks when freewheeling, its great for peds though and I'm used to it now. IMO the full celeste a bit overpowering but then again so is white and white will probably be harder to keep. I went for a black frame with a celeste top.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • my bikes celeste its one of the reasons why i bought her.
  • hey bianchi boy you have a nice collection of bikes,esspecialy the 2nd one and the raleigh celeste
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

I want a Bianchi but i want it in Celeste (that beautiful blue colour that they come in!) but the compagnalo bike i want only comes in white... so here are the questions -
    1. Should i sacrifice the colour?
    2. Should i get a bianchi with shimano 105 or with Campagnolo VELOCE?

I only ask because ive been told a bianchi bike with shimano was disgraceful. I've been using sora on my old bike so im used to the extra button to change gear so thats not an issue

Have Bianchi started doing "only" in white? [:0] IME they did Celeste and an "other" colour, not another colour and "not celeste" - Celeste is Bianchi. shockeroonie...
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    what a gorgeous bike, i want!

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I've a steel framed mega pro in celeste with mirage groupset. I like the fact that it's distinctive, you can recognise them even at a distance. On the down side I dislike the noisy freewheel and find the brake hoods uncomfortable as they are a very hard plastic so I tend to use it for short rides only.

O na bawn i fel LA
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big T</i>

I always think Campag looks better on a classic Italian bike, but then I'm pro-Campag anyway.

It's just a shame that the frames are made in Taiwan.

See http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

I suppose that's the same for the majority of manufacturers these days though.

David
  • Freeza
    Freeza Posts: 128

I want a Bianchi but i want it in Celeste (that beautiful blue colour that they come in!)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Probably heresy to say this on the C+ forum, but I for one don't like Celeste one bit! Would not ride a celeste-coloured bike if you paid me.

As for Campag/Shimano - i've got Tiagra on one bike and Veloce on the other. Both do the job but the Tiagra shifters are ugly (especially when braking, could make small children cry) whereas Veloce are not.

<font size="1">--
    Ride or die</font id="size1">
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I've had Veloce for 13 years and am very pleased with it, so would go for that. I think the levers/shifters look better than Shimano, anyway.

Over the years, I've only had to replace the worn chain and chainrings, and the levers (the ratchet mechanism in one went; I bought barely-used Chorus levers on eBay as replacement), but overall the set has given great service.
    Before the cassette was worn, I replaced the original Campa wheels and though I found I had to have a 105 cassette on my new rear wheel, I had no problem adjusting Veloce to match (the ring spacing is very slightly different on Shimano compared to a Campa cassette).

Last year, in a test report in a foreign cycling magazine, the overall conclusion was that Veloce was just as good as the more expensive Campa group sets, you just got a little more weight.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    "comes only in white"

Guess you mean the C2C Veloce circa œ850. Evans and other dealers say it is only in white but if you look at the specs in the small print at the back of the 2007 Bianchi catalogue it is also available in CK (there Celeste colour code) so may be worth checking with the importer/agent.

I want too, but waiting on employer to confirm the C2W scheme.

Stick to your guns and go Celeste.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fresh Air Rider</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big T</i>

David

Why is that a shame? Even brands like Wilier, kuota, Look, Orbea and even Colnago have some frames made in Taiwan. Nothing wrong with that at all, the Taiwanese have invest massive amounts of money in technology and manufacturing and there is no reason that they should be any worse at frame-building than a bunch of Italian/French Italian blokes!

My Best Bike<font size="2"></font id="size2">
  • spasypaddy
    unfortunately C2W with halfords now can't get any 07 bianchis as a result i have to wait for the 08 bikes. I've got a cannondale r400 in the meantime (œ400 worth of repairs first!) to keep me going. I've now got my heart set on a bianchi especially after sitting on alot of bikes in evans today whilst waiting for a quote for the damage

• gandalfcp
    gandalfcp Posts: 220

unfortunately C2W with halfords now can't get any 07 bianchis as a result i have to wait for the 08 bikes. I've got a cannondale r400 in the meantime (œ400 worth of repairs first!) to keep me going. I've now got my heart set on a bianchi especially after sitting on alot of bikes in evans today whilst waiting for a quote for the damage

Did they give any indication when the 2008 range would be announced?
  • spasypaddy
    the guy on the phone said probably 3 months around september but also said that it could be sooner or longer. Basically its whenever bianchi want to release them. He said that you dont need to know or order a bike before the voucher is awarded, but it would have a 4 month date on it but if you order your bike before the voucher runs out and you have to wait longer they will still honour it as long as the order is placed before the voucher is dated to run out.

• RedAende
    Think the 2007 range was announced in Sept 2006, so + 12 months ?

As Murray Walker once said "it's 8 mins past here in Belgium , so it must be 8 mins past everywhere else in the world.... I think"

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jashburnham</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fresh Air Rider</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big T</i>

David

Why is that a shame? Even brands like Wilier, kuota, Look, Orbea and even Colnago have some frames made in Taiwan. Nothing wrong with that at all, the Taiwanese have invest massive amounts of money in technology and manufacturing and there is no reason that they should be any worse at frame-building than a bunch of Italian/French Italian blokes!

My Best Bike<font size="2"></font id="size2">

Nothing wrong with the Taiwanese at all, but you can't really refer to it as a "classic Italian bike" if the frame has been made in Taiwan.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RedAende</i>

"comes only in white"

Guess you mean the C2C Veloce circa œ850. Evans and other dealers say it is only in white but if you look at the specs in the small print at the back of the 2007 Bianchi catalogue it is also available in CK (there Celeste colour code) so may be worth checking with the importer/agent.

I want too, but waiting on employer to confirm the C2W scheme.

Stick to your guns and go Celeste.

You might find this a problem, I wanted a Camaleonte in Celeste as per the brochure and Italian web page - but eventually found out it is not brought to the UK in that colour, period.

Personally I'd stick to my guns and get Celeste, but I wouldn't be stuck on the Campag thing (of you like Shimano, that is).
  • RedAende
    I'd stick with Celeste and Campy, bit like cheese n vino, go together.