New Road Bike Help...

billholding
billholding Posts: 10
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I am currently using an old Marin mountain bike, which has been adapted to be more suitable for road use, but i now want to buy a dedicated road bike. I won't be looking to add panniers etc, as i can use my mountain bike when that would be needed, so it will be for when i'm travelling light. It will be mainly used for travelling to work in London, but i want to be able to take advantage of it, and use it for longer rides (although not at a competative level).

I have between œ500-œ700 to spend, and am looking for something with a compact frame geometry. So far i have been looking at...

1: Giant "SCR"
2: Specialized "Allez"
3: Condor "Agio"
4: Ribble (custom build online)

The appeal of the Condor and the Ribble bikes is that i can choose exactly the components i want to use, however the bikes from Condor work out more expensive (like for like on everything other than the frame), but importantly i can get the Condor tailored to fit, in the shop, whereas the Ribble would be done via the internet.

I would be interested to hear what people's views are regarding Ribble bikes (which look great on paper), and whether i'm mad to buy a bike without trying it out.

Also what has put me off the Giant bikes is the Shimano groupset. All my friends who ride road bikes say that Campag is the only way to go, but i am not so sure that i should be so blinkered? I don't want to start a major Shimano V Campag bitching session, and really i am just trying to find out what would be my best bet with that sort of money to spend, based on peoples experience.

thanks for any help

Bill

Comments

• Ribble are fine although they can sometimes be a bit slow on the delivery. I've got a Specialized Allez (to replace an old Ribble) and it's great.

As for Shimano vs. Campag, I'm sure many will disagree with me but from using both I can say they both work absolutely fine. If pushed the differences would be Shimano works as reliably as a Japanese car from the moment it comes out of the box, Campag looks prettier.
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    Go for the Condor. The chance to have it fitted to your shape/style is worth it's weight in C-record. As for Shimano or Campy - I use Shimano Ultegra and get along with it just fine. Two of my mates use Campy and get along just fine with that. Campy DOES give the bars on a bike a very clean look due to the gear cables being hidden under the bar tape. I would admit my bars look a little 'busy' in comparison. Comfort and the correct fit are miles more important, however.

Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • I must say i have been becoming more and more inclined to spend the extra and go to Condor, and get the bike set up exactly as i want it. At least i will have the peace of mind that i won't be spending money on something that doesn't fit properly, and also as it's my nearest bikeshop it will be where i go for a service etc anyway.
    thanks for the words of wisedom.
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    My pleasure. Your first service will be free also, which adds to the value of the package.

Enjoy your new ride.

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Just gone to LBS to order a Allez triple. (RRP œ529.99)

None left, 2008 bikes out in the next couple of weeks

Ordered a 2007 Allez Sport Triple (RRP 729.99) for œ599[8D][:D]

Today has been a good day[:D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I too have ordered the Agio from Condor and pick it up next week! Whilst I haven't seen it yet I'm sure I made the right choice, for all the reasons discussed here.

Go for it!

Colin
  • mh130
    mh130 Posts: 19
    Rich H

If you don't mind my asking - where did you pick up the œ600 Allez Sport?

matt
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    if not sure about the condor, have a look at my summer bike below.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Just bought my first road bike after a few weeks of reading the advice on this forum.

I'm glad I waited and didn't just rush out and buy the first one I saw.......I got some useful advice and was able to pick up a Giant SCR1 for œ610 - LBS matched internet price.

Pick it up tomoroow, cant wait to get out tomorrow night!!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mh130</i>

Rich H

If you don't mind my asking - where did you pick up the œ600 Allez Sport?

matt
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Matt,

My local LBS.

Paul's Bikes,
    Hitchin,
    Herts
    01462 434433
    (Closed Wednesdays)

Went in shop. He phoned up (Spesh, I asume) said how much, I paid 10%

He phoned today, it's in the shop, ready, but I can't pick it up until Friday, can't wait[8D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large