Specialized Sirrus XL too big for 6'2"?

skyway
skyway Posts: 24
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've been watching this forum for a while, here is my first post, so Hi to all :)

I've been commuting 7-8 miles to and from my place of work in Leeds every day now for a few months and it's time to replace my medium sized 1998 Mongoose SX4.3 with something a bit more substantial.

I'm quite big, 6'2" and 100Kg with a long term dodgy lower back....hopefully the cycling will help me loose some weight.

90% of the time I'll use the bike for commuting and the other time will be 'bike rides' with my kids, mainly woodland but nothing too radical.

Anyway, back to my question, would a Specialized Sirrus XL too big for me ?

TIA Jay
2004 Specialized Sirrus XL
Cane Creek Ergo II
Orlieb 2.7L Saddle Bag

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Hello, skyway, and welcome.

For sizing your new bike, I would strongly recommend visiting bike shops and sitting on the bikes you're interested in. Try at least two sizes and at least two shops and see what their advice is and how the bikes feel for you. Try to have test rides if at all possible. There are theoretical rules for sizing, but nothing beats having a shot yourself.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    According to Specialized an '07 XL Sirrus is designed for 6`3" - 6`6"!

So in theory it may be a fraction too large to be comfortable, however everyone is different and if say you have a shorter than average neck/head height it might be spot on. Though even with too large a bike you may be able to change the seat post, adjust the handlebar position etc. to make it comfortable.

If you have a "dodgy lower back" you may find too large frame causes you to over-reach not allowing a sensible curve to your spine when cycling.

If in any doubt go to a good LBS that has an XL Sirrus in stock, and take it out for a test ride.

I would also be inclined if the back is a concern to consider using a proper bike fitting service to find out what frame geometry suits your body proportions.

HTH - Rufus.
  • oxfordian
    oxfordian Posts: 196
    I find spesh on the big side. I own a 58cm allez and a 56cm allez comp. The allez has been shortened as far as it will go (90mm stem - twitchy!). The 56cm fits a treat - and i am 6'2".

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2007/feb/AdamWalker.htm
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    I am 6'2" and have a large Spesh Elite. Suit me fine. Have you tried one?

I think the delievery for my LBS was something like 12 weeks for an XL.
    FCN 10
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Hi, although it's generally wise to try a bike and get fitted first, with a compact framed hybrid, you usually get a lot of possibility for adjustment.

When you are borderline between sizes, it's usually better to go smaller, you can always fit a longer stem to give you more reach and the seatpost should give more height than you'll ever need. As someone of a similar height, my guess would be go for the L rather than XL, your weight isn't really relevant, it's a strong bike and you're unlikely to have issues with it, providing the wheels are trued and tensioned properly - another good eason to seek out a good LBS rather than online.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • pfcboy
    pfcboy Posts: 155
    Hi,
    I also have XL and at 6'3" it's fine for my commute.

Portsmouth 4 Southampton 1
    Portsmouth 4 Southampton 1
  • skyway
    skyway Posts: 24
    WOW, thanks for all the great advice, I guess I'll need to try before I buy to make sure its not too big :)

I did have a sit on a Large and XL Ridgeback Comet, although the XL was bigger than I'm used to but both seemed ok....it's difficult to know really without putting at least a few miles in.
    2004 Specialized Sirrus XL
    Cane Creek Ergo II
    Orlieb 2.7L Saddle Bag
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skyway</i>

....it's difficult to know really without putting at least a few miles in.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

IMHO a good LBS should let you do exactly that, and with a suitable credit card behind the counter, and the intention to buy from them, they should let you take a bike out for a few miles to get the "feel" of it.

Rufus.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RufusA</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skyway</i>

....it's difficult to know really without putting at least a few miles in.

IMHO a good LBS should let you do exactly that, and with a suitable credit card behind the counter, and the intention to buy from them, they should let you take a bike out for a few miles to get the "feel" of it.

Rufus.

Agreed. Mine did exactly that.
    FCN 10