Tyre upgrade?

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have Kenda 700 x 26c tyres on my Giant SCR 3.0. The rear wheel is quite worn now and I would like to upgrade. Would 700x23 tyres be a wise move? Would they be any faster? (Would a wheel upgrade be an idea too? (currently Alex DA22 rims, formula hubs)

I have looked at various tyres online but it seems a minefield.
Opinions / suggestions please!

<font size="1"><i><font color="red">I wish it would stop raining!</font id="size1"></i></font id="red">

Comments

• conti gp4000s are the current tyre in vogue. nice tyres [:D]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Buying new wheels would be a good idea, depends what budget you got really.

105 on open pro rims are always a good choice but it depends on what you want to with them and how much cash you got spare.
    Are you racing, touring, commuting etc?

go for the tyres in 23 anyway

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Steve, I'm riding for pleasure / fitness and a bit of sport with some mates. Done a couple of short duathlons recently as well. I would only really spend up to 150 on wheels as the bike only cost 450 pounds.

<font size="1"><i><font color="red">I wish it would stop raining!</font id="size1"></i></font id="red">
  • you can get ultegra hubs on open pro on ribble for 135.50, which would be a good upgrade in my opinion.
    You could save a few quid by getting 105 hubs and probably won't notice any difference

that would be my choice [:D]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Forget hand made wheels. Get a pair of Fulcrum racing 7 and a pair of tyres. Should come under your budget. Despite what some will say your local bike shop WILL point you in the right direction.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Any particular reason for "Forget hand made wheels" DTR?

Its a bit of a sweeping statement, and a load of nonsense to be honest

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Factory wheels have had 10 years of development over Open Pro therefore wheels are better. How many pro teams are on open Pro rims?
  • How many pro teams on fulcrum 7's?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Quickstep chose Racing 5 for winter training, Good enough for the last 2 world champs good enough for us.

And yes they got to choose
  • so they don't use racing7's then? [;)]

DTR there is a reason i have suggested ultegra on Open Pro. I think handbuilt wheels are more serviceable, last longer and are an all round better choice at that price range.
    Your opinion is something else, but you don't know why.

I'll leave the OP to make his choice

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • I know why. Raced Open pro on Record hubs many years ago. Would use Racing 7 ahead of them now as they are Stiffer Still use a standard spoke Sealed hub bearings and stay in true longer.
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    As Racing 7' come in around œ120 cyclestore.ie are selling racing 5 evo's (like what Tom and his mates trained on) for around that.