First Tour

kayakdave
kayakdave Posts: 3
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
I'm planning on taking a week off to do a short solo tour.
Plan is to take train from Dartford to top of lake district and ride back.
Will be camping along the way. Done a fair bit of light weight camping so should be ok on that front.

Any Route sugestions?
Does this seem like a suitable first tour I think distance is about 300 miles?
I'm either going to use my kona hard tail or an older fully rigid Saracen but this will need a new chain and cassette.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Dave

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kayakdave</i>

Hi,
    I'm planning on taking a week off to do a short solo tour.
    Plan is to take train from Dartford to top of lake district and ride back.
    Will be camping along the way. Done a fair bit of light weight camping so should be ok on that front.

Any Route sugestions?
    Does this seem like a suitable first tour I think distance is about 300 miles?
    I'm either going to use my kona hard tail or an older fully rigid Saracen but this will need a new chain and cassette.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Dave
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You can use www.viamichelin.com to plot a route using the bike option to get relatively low traffic routes. You can then refine the route using either a large scale motorist's atlas with campsites marked on it to set targets for ech day e.g. every 40 -50 miles.

Suggesting routes is pointless in my experience as it's much more fun to plot your own. I've had lots of suggestions for LEJOG and JOGLE but you can beat drawing a straight line between the start and end and choosing what appears to be the best for your own intended purpose.

There's a few web sites that will give gradient profiles for your chosen route too:

www.bikely.com
    www.mapmyride.com

Enjoy the planning the ride and riding the plan [8D]
  • email me and you can have a nice night in Preston

Oh sorry
    I'll bore you with tales of tours I have done.

Ask Vernon he knows

So you will be starting in Keswick

Grasmere, Ambleside, Kendal, Lancaster, Preston
    shower, food

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • Dartford...you are just down the road.
    Gravity sucks
  • kayakdave
    kayakdave Posts: 3
    Thanks all so far.
    Was thinking of starting from Aspatria just north of the lakes so I could ride right trough the Lake District. Probably 20th-27th July.

How long do people generally take to do JOGLE? I know that's a bit of a piece of string question. But just asking to get an idea of the norm if any.

I've ridden L2B without any hassles apart from waiting packed in a narrow lane while accidents are sorted out. Though didn't get up ditchling.

Probably gonna go for a mix of rough camping and campsites depending on how close I am to nearest site. As light as possible.
    Want to be flexible enough to keep riding if I'm feeling like it.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kayakdave</i>

How long do people generally take to do JOGLE? I know that's a bit of a piece of string question. But just asking to get an idea of the norm if any.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bit of a pointless question as it all depends on personal fitness, targets, the chosen route, the total distance ridden, the average daily distance ridden, how much holiday you've got, how long your partner will let you out of their sight for and the bike amongst other things.....

Choose between 44hrs and infinity [:D]

FWIW I've done it in 16 days one way and 18 days in the opposite direction. 1000 miles exactly in 16 days and 1014 miles in 18 days. Both rides included a full day off.

On both rides I used a Dawes Galaxy and cycle camped all the way apart from the mid point breaks in both directions in Preston at Jibi's house.