Crunching noise/feeling

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road general
Afternoon all,

I've began to notice, at slow speeds, I can feel and hear a crunching as I turn the pedals. I've had this before, but it turned out I'd over-tightened the chain and when I loosened it, it went away. However, now it's happening again and the chain tension is fine.

I'm running 1/8 throughout and all components are relatively new. Could it be I've over stretched the chain when I originally over tightened it?

Btw, I took the chain off and the cranks and hub are running smooth as a baby's bum! it only seems to be when the chain is fitted.

Cheers

All that glitters is glass.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you tried cleaning and oiling your chain?
  • pistonbrew
    pistonbrew Posts: 492
    is the tension ok all the way round, or iis it binding at a tight spot?

FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
    FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
  • I cleaned and olied the chain on sunday. The following day the noise started!

there is a slight difference in tension depending on where you are in rotation, but it's still slack enough at the tightest spot.

I was thinking it might be a streched chain and the links no longer sit in the teeth as comfortable as they used to?

• pistonbrew
    depends on the type of crunchiness i guess, but my chain is crunchy after a bath in white spirit. soon goes though. are you using a wet lube like finish line cross country?

FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
    FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
  • Yes, overnight in white spirit and then dry off with a rag and apply Finish Line Cross Country.

Do you think that's it? Come to think of it, the crunching is deffo reducing.

• pistonbrew
    i dunno - but washing the chain can push grit back into the rollers. you should apply lube to the rollers, working on the inside of the chain run, so that when it's spinning the oil is forced into the rollers, pushing the grit out as it goes.

FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
    FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
  • pistonbrew
    as usual, sheldon explains better than my clumsy attempt [:D]

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

FGG#2484 & FGG#4529
    FGG#2484 & FGG#4529