Maratona

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
Right, who's doing it next weekend, where are you staying and what time are you aiming for ? Anyone doing it having done it before, if so, any tips, tales etc ?

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Comments

• Did it 2000 - my abiding memory, apart from the scenery, is the toughness of the Giau. The last climb, the Valporala, isn't as tough. Thank god.
  • Airmiles
    Airmiles Posts: 101
    I'm on, staying in Pedraces with Collets. I WAS aiming for 6:00 on the middle course..but that's all out the window now. (See "Antibiotics..Maratona" thread in Training).
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • dsoutar
    Yeah, good luck Airmiles. Mind you, having been the picture of health all last year I picked up a headcold three days before the Marmotte last year. Went up the Glandon just dripping snot all over me and the bike and just had to clear my nose every so often which is not the easiest thing to do and still remain popular when you're surrounded by dozens of other riders !

I've no idea what to expect as I'm hoping I'm stronger than last year so I'm going for an 8hr long course and see how we go from there.

I've walked and skied there and if you've never been before the scenery is stunning. Very different from the French Alps. People very friendly and food very good. Perfect for after the ride !!

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I had a place and was all ready to Maratona then the Marmotte 6 days later. The training was going well (Gran Fondo Cymru in 6:15) but then I got knocked off a few weeks back in a race [:(!]. Sadly the damage won't heal in time, so I'm out, but the good news is I could roll the enttry forward to 2008.

So I'm looking forward to hearing how you all get on...
  • dsoutar
    Flamin' heck; you ARE keen. Not many people I hear of using the Maratona as a warmup !

• genki
    genki Posts: 305
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsoutar</i>

Flamin' heck; you ARE keen. Not many people I hear of using the Maratona as a warmup !
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nah! Just a skin-flint. That way I only had to book one trip to ride two great events.
  • Tomonabike
    Tomonabike Posts: 69
    I'm riding, staying in La Villa, doing the long course. Just aiming to ride on the day and see how it goes rather than go for a time!

Can't wait though it really is stunning out there!