Hotels in the rest of France

RBSF
RBSF Posts: 91
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Over the last ten years I've taken light-weight cycling holidays in the French Alps. Always stayed in hotels and have never had any problem finding one, there seems to be a hotel in every village, or being refused a room. This year I want to try West or Central France. Does any one know if the hotel situation in these areas is as good as in the Alps? I have heard that the Central Massif is rather desolate? Also, is the Bordeaux region "hotel rich"?

Comments

• djmc
    djmc Posts: 38
    If you know the area you can always try to find out the situation by contacting the local tourist office (bureau de tourisme) either writing or e-mailing. However you shouldn't have too much difficulty just stopping in a town or village. In the country you may see bed and breakfasts (chambres d'hotes) these are often good value. The Alps are fairly touristy and may have more hotels but on the other hand the hotels may be more likely to be full.
  • Mike Bcp
    Mike Bcp Posts: 44
    Bordeaux area is no problem for hotels and chambres d'hotes. If you're in the area, look out for the superb 50 km of surfaced bike track running east from the city. Spotted a rather attractive 'Velo Verte' chambres d'hote beside the track. Massif Central is a different story. Not much habitation and limited accommodation in some areas. Memories of an extra 20 miles on one occasion when the town we planned to stay in proved to be on the Santiago route and all the accommodation was full. Worth researching and booking ahead there. Might be useful to look at Logis de France for hotels and Gites de France for chambres d'hotes.
    M G Bonar
  • southlaker
    southlaker Posts: 1,199
    If you're really stuck it can be worth asking in cafés, bars and even shops. Some of the locals aren't averse to taking in a paying cyclist or two for the night, even if for financial reasons they don't advertise it. :wink:
  • jumbolugs
    jumbolugs Posts: 181
    In 1998 my wife and I spent about 16 days cycling through Western France from Cherbourg to Montpellier (Normandy, Loire, Limousin, Dordogne, Languedoc). We stayed in basic hotels but didn't book in advance or do any research - we just picked a small town or large-ish village to be our destination for each day, and assumed we'd find a hotel room there, which we did in every case except one. (I have to say on that occasion we were glad we'd brought a tent as an insurance policy!)

I think you will be fine as long as you don't go in peak tourist season.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

try this they are all over France; decent quality with low prices
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621