Will the bike be alright on truck on way back?

almacen
almacen Posts: 10
Hi everyone,
First post, so woohoo!
I am doing the british sportive next weekend, and am taking the arranged transport back.
Am wondering if you guys think my bike would be safe on the way back or not? I think they are just putting bikes next to each other saddle to bar, so they are just resting on each other.
Should do it on my training bike or on my more comfy/racy, a tad more expensive bike?
Anyone else taking the arranged transport back?

Thanks

Ali

Comments

• Similar arrangemnts for transporting my week old allez back from Brighton resulted in three laquer scrapes, one all the way through the paint and one ding in the top tube just behind the head. [:(!]
    Almost unavoidible unless the truck has some way to secure every bike.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • Should have ridden it, thats what I got for being lazy!! before anyone says it.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">
  • JonSkids
    JonSkids Posts: 464
    The organisers will take some baggage for us to pick up at the finish. My baggage will contain foam pipe insulation tubes (already cut to size and marked to show what goes where) and electrical tape. It only takes five minutes to protect the frame and forks. If you can't get hold of the foam tubes you could alway pack some bubble wrap for them to take up.
  • almacen
    where do I get "foam tubes" from? what about bubble wrap?
    Thanks
    Ali
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Go to DIY shop like B&Q, etc - get the grey tubular polystyrene stuff they sell to insulate pipes with. Cut to length as required, slit it open with a knife so you can get it over your bike tubes. Tape it on.

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    any decent DIY store will have them - pipe insulation, usually grey

if you have two bits of painted metal touching each other and moving even very slightly, the paint will be stripped off in no time.
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • almacen
    cool. thanks. actually the frame is carbon not alloy/metal, that's why I am a bit worried.
    Let's hope it'll be sunny :)
    Ali
  • Do it on your training bike.
  • almacen
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

Do it on your training bike.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ye, that's what I am gonna do...Even with padding, the weight of a few bikes sideways on a carbon frame annoys me.
    Shame really. I love my training bike. got it new for œ200 in 2003 off ebay. But with all the upgrades and updates, it is still a 2000 model, has a steel fork and weighs 24 pounds...[:)]
    It does mean that I have to go clean and fix it up now though. It was due after the winter really...