Lowerback Strength

jhon
jhon Posts: 37
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Have recently switched over to a road bike and it is fast. I did the L2B on Sunday, but since then have done a 20 mile ride on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing too strenuous, just trying to get some distance done after work.

But today, my lowerback is really really stiff... is my handlebar too low? Or am I simply too weak in the lower-back to ride on a road bike for that amount of time yet...

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    You'll get used to it quickly, you could raise your stem if you don't mind losing out on some speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Chrysler Air Raid Siren Specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jhon</i>

... is my handlebar too low? Or am I simply too weak in the lower-back to ride on a road bike for that amount of time yet...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    It's probably an 'an over-use injury' which will resolve itself in a short time. You could raise your bars to around the same height as the saddle for a while to ease the situation. Pay attention to your riding posture - ride on the tops and try to keep your back straight and shoulders back (the way you should be standing) rather than crouched over the bike. Don't forget to stretch-out after a ride.
    If you want to strengthen you back (wait till your present problem goes away), lay face down on the floor and lift your chest off the floor (say 10 reps), gradually increasing to 40 reps over a period of several weeks.
    Having said all that - I should say that I am not qualified in any way to offer advise on anything (apart from sailing). But it works for me![:)]

<i><font size="1"><font color="brown">The older I get, the better I was</font id="brown"></font id="size1"></i>
    <i><font size="1"><font color="brown">The older I get, the better I was</font id="brown"></font id="size1"></i>
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Make sure you stretch after every ride. Lower back stiffness can be caused by tight hamstrings. I stretch my hamstrings, calfs and quads.

My Best Bike
  • make sure that you work your lower back if you are doing ab work. I am having similar aches and pains and some of the stuuf I've read on the net suggests that most people only work the abs at the front, but not the sides or back which gives you an imbalance.

cheers,

Rich (A commuter at last)

The stupid deserve to suffer...
  • jhon
    jhon Posts: 37
    Good point... i never stretch after a ride... funny that as I always spend 10mins stretching after a run.

OK will bear in mind to do that... anyway, I've decided to give it a rest until this weekend. Hoping to find 50mile somewhere to do. Will focus on posture too

thx for all the help!
  • I had this problem.
    I did stretches a couple of times a week DO THIS EXCERSICE but with left arm above head as you lean to the right, and visa versa.
    And also doing some back extensions (as BornAgainCyclist says) will help to strengthen your back.
    it will soon get better
  • kevinh
    kevinh Posts: 22
    I have had some lower back trouble recently. The physio told me to stop cycling for a while because it opens the vertebrea at the back which is probably worse in a prone position. He recommended doing a voga type excercise that involved getting on all fours and lifting one leg back and up while lifting the opposite arm and stretching out to make the arm, your back and the lifted leg horizontal. Count to five and then do the opposite arm/leg combination. I found this beneficial for loosening the lower back. He also recommends doing Swiss ball sit ups and "the bench" (static push-ups resting on your elbows rather than you hands). Apparently it's all about increasing your core strength. So far, its working for me and I'm back on the bikes.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I don't think trying to keep a straight back is a good idea on a bicycle. The natural position on a road bike is to have an arched back and trying to straighten it out will cause extra stress on those back muscles probably resulting in more back pain. I've found keeping a good arch and trying to even out my weight across the saddle and handlebars keeps me comfortable.

Lots of info googling for "cycling posture" and the like.