Olympic Legacy?

Spawn of Cabbie
Spawn of Cabbie Posts: 382
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Hi,

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding epetitions are. Apologies if this is not allowed

A local swimming facility is being closed down and we're trying to keep it open.

Here is the link to the story

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 917884.ece

and the link to the petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Save-WFCPool/

Thanks

Comments

• The Olympics is just a scandalous waste of money. Take shooting sports for example. We have superb facilities at Bisley in north Surrey. Bisley is deemed to be too far away and umpteen millions are to be spent in creating shooting facilities in London. Then many more millions are being spent on demolishing them.
  • Getting the Olympics was a brilliant thing. Unfortuantely, those that organise it are going to waste a brilliant opportunity.
    In that article, they mention the mountain bike course they're buliding and then tearing down. Is it beyond the wit of those running it to see that they could keep it open after and let the great unwashed use it?

Is that really too difficult?

Sport provision in this country is a joke.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    Also, what do people think of the whole National Lottery funding being heavily relied upon by the government for sports facilities thing?

<font color="purple">******************************************************************************</font id="purple">
    <b><font color="green">See</font id="green"><font color="orange"> baby </font id="orange"><font color="blue">Elephants </font id="blue"><font color="red"> and more at</font id="red">:</b> http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    at least the southerners will have a velodrome that comes close to being as good as ours in manchester.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    surely the good news is that Chantelle of celeb big brother...eh...fame is 'investing' in property in the area as she has been told she will make a killing

this surely should be the legacy of 2012????

could be bad advice but surely another example of us poor notherners being out subsidised by the subsidy junkies otherwise known as londoners (cue spire[:)])

www.squadraporcini.com
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    And how much of the lottery fund will be squandered on the South East's bunfight? Another "stealth tax" on the rest of the country.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

And how much of the lottery fund will be squandered on the South East's bunfight? Another "stealth tax" on the rest of the country.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I quite agree. How about Scottish independence at the same time - a double celebration.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I think that the Olympics are a farcical travesty!

We have got to the stage where there are few countries in the world that are able to afford the expense, and all the other costs to social community and environment.

Personally - scrap it!

Let's see an international competition that is open and affordable to a third world country and focus on the atheletes as oposed to the commercial aspects.

The Olympics SHOULD be about celebrating the achievements of the atheletes as opposed to the ACcountants!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I was disappointed Paris was not chosen - it would be cheaper to get to than London (for me) and the country would have to bear none of the expense.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

at least the southerners will have a velodrome that comes close to being as good as ours in manchester.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

b*ll*cks to the Velodrome when we lose our road circuit, cyclocross & mountain biking facilities

you can shove your legacy where the sun don't shine.

the only legacy is concrete

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    ...and the destruction of numerous established family businesses who cannot afford to restart in London, especially now thatthe Olympic "financial steamroller" has inflated prices even more.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    I too was disappointed Paris didn't get it, and I own a house just up the road from where it's going to be. I'm outraged by everything to do with the development, frankly.
  • [:0][:0]Sh*t, I agree with Spen!!![:0] Im gonna have a quick lie down...[:D]

What he says is right the loss of Eastway and the lies told by the Olympic bods (which BC seem to have bought hook line & sinker) is not a legacy but a destruction of sporting facilities.

And the genius that came up with holding the mtb race in a flat park where riding a bike is banned - outstanding!! They only had to look another 10 miles or so and there are a few fantastic places that could host the race.
  • I think having the Olympics in London would be a brilliant idea if were organised properly.....
  • Strange, isn't it, that the crested newts which delayed the construction of the Hog Hill circuit, leaving London cyclists with no replacement for Eastway this season...

...were also present at Eastway, but didn't slow down the bulldozers there one little bit [:(!]

Legacy, my arse. The main "legacy" will be money in the pockets of developers.
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    writing as one who has worked for developers in East London....I think NickM has a point.

It is an embarrassment, frankly, that London was chosen over Manchester, and the real reason that London succeeded was that the IOC delegates preferred our fleshpots to Paris. This isn't to say that now we're signed up for it we shouldn't be making the best possible job. Getting 20% of all visitors to the Olympics travelling by foot or by bike is a fair aspiration - but the Olympic Road Network is an abomination and I just hope that some of the Soapbox awkward squad are willing to have a real go at this when the time comes. (You'll all have grown up and bought cars by then, though [V])