Advice about 2007 Giant CRS

piaandbaby
piaandbaby Posts: 11
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a bike for up to œ300 to commute 27 miles a day twice a week with the option of being able to go on canal paths etc. I've got a bad back so don't want to be leaning too far forwards and having seen the Giant CRS (2.5 and 3.0)it seems to suit what I need rather than a road bike. Has anyone got any views or advice on the bike. I'm currently cycling to work on a ten year old mountain bike with huge tyres and an extremely long stem so it won't take a lot to make the journey a lot more comfortable.

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Good for you for doing 27 miles a day on a mountain bike. Yes, I would say from their specs that the Giant CRS's seem to be pretty good hybrids for the money, though I haven't tried them. Indeed it should be easier than your old bike. There are various others along similar lines, as you probably know: Ridgeback, Dawes, Trek, Edinburgh Bikes etc.
  • piaandbaby
    There are various others along similar lines, as you probably know: Ridgeback, Dawes, Trek, Edinburgh Bikes etc.

To be honest I haven't spent that much time researching it. Knowing what I'm like, I can quickly get obsessed about the huge choice available and won't end up getting the bike till next year! I don't really know about the Ridgebacks, Dawes etc. Do you know if from the set up etc these might be better suited for what I want than the CRS?

Thanks

Paul
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Why not test ride the CRS first? If you're really happy with how that feels, buy one; if you're not sure, test ride another model.

But if, as you say, you get obsessed about the huge choice available, is that a bad thing? Aren't you more likely to end up with the right bike if you do more research? Give yourself a deadline - soon, as we're already into the summer and this is the most enjoyable time to cycle.
  • turborat
    turborat Posts: 15
    I took a CRS 2.5 out at the weekend as I am looking for a similar bike (but have just raised my budget from œ300 to œ400 !!) and have to say it is a very good bike.

I am going to try a Ridgeback Velocity (300)& Ridgeback Element (400) at the weekend as the Velocity seems to get a lot of peoples vote on this forum and has a pretty good setup. The Ridgeback Element is the same frame (I think) as the Velocity but it uses a step up in level with regards to parts including carbon forks.
  • piaandbaby
    Thanks both of you for your advice. I test drove the crs today and bought the city model. It was really comfortable to ride and just felt right. I'll let you know how it is when I pick it up next week.

Paul
  • piaandbaby
    After ordering the crs city I have been told it is out of stock and I will have to wait 6 weeks for it. I've rung round other places and been told the same. As I don't want to wait that long it's back to the drawing board so I'm after some advice again please. Some of the hybrids that seem to get lots of positive comments here are the ridgeback velocity, specialized sirrus / globe. I have also got the option of the crs 1.0 which is œ495. Any preferences or different options will ?

Thanks a lot.

Paul
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    The models change at this time of year, which means deals can be done.

I'd look at a Sirrus if I was you.

I just got œ130 off an Allez Sport, The guy in the shop made a call to find out what deals could be done.

If there are any left then you should get some reduction

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • stoomack
    stoomack Posts: 10
    My girlfriend as the '05 CRS SE. I got it last year from cyclestore.co.uk at a considerable discount. Its a good bike. They still have the '06 CRS SE, reduced from œ375 to œ262, but only in 15, 17 and 21 inch. Worth a look.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=428
  • piaandbaby
    I think it was a blessing in disguise that the crs city was out of stock. After reading positive comments all over the forums and raising my budget (again)I tried and bought a Sirrus Elite today. Weighing it all up it's going to be the better suited bike and I'm going to put an adjustable stem on to put me a bit more upright to help the old back. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Paul