Im going to order my new thorn raven

mazza
mazza Posts: 52
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
im going to order my new thorn raven tomorow im pondeing about some of the upgrades to go for such as the drive chain xt or lx or the one it comes with and also the breakes do go i go for the xtr any one got any ideas

Comments

• I have had a Sport Tour for about 2 years.

First the good news[:)]:

I went for the XTR V brakes: I have had no problems with them but they are pricey.

I also got a carbon seatpost and bars, again no problems though Al alloy might be better if you are off on a long/rough/remote tour.

Mavic XC 717 ceramic rims are good.

Things I didn't like[:(]:

I tried two of their saddles and liked neither so fitted one of my favourites instead. Choose one you know you like or don't get one is my advice. Save yourself some money!

Carbon bar ends: look great[8D] but I didn't get on with them so fitted some chunky Al ones instead.

Panaracer Pasela tyres: punctures on the first outing so they had to go! However other people rate them and may be I was just unlucky.

Hope that helps!
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    There's a lot of discussion of this kind of thing on the thorn forum, it might be worth posting there. I've had a Raven tour for 10 months and 2500 miles. For what it's worth I've changed the tyres to Schwalbe marathons as the Panaracers split in the side wall on the first outing and changed the shimano brake blocks to some softer compounds less prone to damaging the rim. I went for the cheapest Shimano v brakes with a view to upgrading to XTR or avid ultimates, but as yet have had no complaints from the cheap option and not got around to upgrading. I also changed the chain to a PC68 but there is still plenty of wear in the original PC48. Other upgrades are dependent on your main use ie. mine is an allround tourer, camper and commuter so i've specced relatively light rims and rack but if you are going round the world with loads of kit you'd make different choices, or if you were doing lots of offroading then the suspension fork might be worthwhile. If you cycle a lot on unlit roads then the schmidt hub might be a good investment, for me LEDs are fine around town in the dark. Other decisions involve the bars -i am happy with flat bars so went with thorn comfort bars, ergo grips and in board bar ends, others have to have drops.
  • mazza
    mazza Posts: 52
    im going to be doing cycle camping and hoping to have the option of going down tracks where there is loose stone extra
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pme</i>

I have had a Sport Tour for about 2 years.

Panaracer Pasela tyres: punctures on the first outing so they had to go! However other people rate them and may be I was just unlucky.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Any tyre can puncture first time out just as much as any tyre can appear to be puncture proof like my Panaracer Pasela tyres[:D]

It all depends if you've offended the p*nct*re fairy.
  • sloe
    sloe Posts: 17
    Very true about the saddles - such a personal thing.

Wouldn't go for xtr brakes - they get panned for squeeling and being too complex - on the other hand SJS wont fit Avid, presumably because they're tied in to Shimano, so you might as I did just get the cheapest Shimano and think of personalising/upgrading later. These stop perfectly well but need a hefty squeeze.

A nice nickel-plated chain might be an idea - wish I had. But making my own extended mud-flap (which I have) is probably even better. (old car tyre inner tube, I'm such a sex-bomb!).

As for rims, depends what you're wanting it for. Unlike PME I'd avoid ceramic and just go for a long-life Rhyno rim, but depends what you're wanting it for. Rhyno-lites might be a good compromise, BMX riders like them so they must be strong.

Carbon bars are praised for shock absorption - I'd have gone for them but for parsimoney.

Can recommend Ergon GR2-L - lots of positions and great security and leverage for when you stand in the pedals.

Tyres?

http://www.schwalbetires.com

Take your pick but the Marathon Supremes look good. I went for the 2.25" Marathon XR for all terrains and dont regret.

But apart from the rear rim most of the bike is pretty well personally personisable.

Hope this helps.
  • BShane
    BShane Posts: 56
    My Raven arrived last week fitted with Avid brakes.
    Haven't had time to assemble yet, so no help there,
    I was sold on the brakes by this site http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Brake_Syste ... 8255.shtml
    If I made a bad choice my next cheapo work bike will have a brake upgrade.
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    Just got back from a 9 day tour of Scotland (895Km) was my first tour with the Raven Tour. The only things I upgraded was brakes to Deore and tires to Schwalbe Marathon, everything else was just spot on. However I think I will ditch the Brooks saddle and buy a different type of handlebar next time.

<font size="1">bike 1 bike 2</font id="size1">
  • Mike Bcp
    Mike Bcp Posts: 44
    As an alternative to the Thorn, have a look at the VSF T-400 Rohloff on this website http://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/touren/touren.html Got these bikes for my wife and myself in April and I've since had tours in Belgium and France on mine and done around 1500 miles. Cost œ1,350 each with all the equipment (Rohloff hub, SON dynamo hub, B&M lights, Magura hydraulic rim brakes, Tubus rack, Brooks saddle, etc.) as standard. Superb bikes.
    M G Bonar