It's back to my own energy drink for me!

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I tried a 'proper' one today for the first time. I was doing a 200 audax but felt decidedly sick at 160 and packed. I struggled to finish lunch (I must have been sick!!) and felt bloated from around 120k on.

I'll may try a lower concentration next ride but am inclined to bin the lot and go back to my own home brew.

Anyone else not get on with the proper stuff?

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Sounds like you over-did the concentrations - I usually mix mine at about 50% of the recommended levels.
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    Me! I tested it before an audax, but only drinking a maximum of two litres a day, and felt slightly funny for the few days I was drinking it. However, on the 400k audax I felt more and more squeamish as the day went on, until I thought my insides were going to explode. I packed at 300k. I spoke to a couple of other audaxers, and they had noted problems with energy drinks. The following week I mixed up my own concoction, based mainly on honey, and tried it on a tough sportive the following weekend - I've never felt better. I took an unopened giant tub of energy drink powder back to my LBS, but I still have a massive stash of energy bars and gels (I stocked up on them in order to test a few different ones). I may use the odd one or two in an emergency, but I think I'm going to stick to 'natural' food for now. I've got a 200k audax soon, so I'll test it on that ride.
  • Have been using my own mix for last 2 years. Based it on Asker Jeukendrup's research + ideas:- http://www.askerjeukendrup.com/

Very simple just glucose, fructose + salt. Ratio of glucose to fructose is 2:1 with 1/4 teaspoon of salt for a 750ml SIS water bottle. Mixture comes out at around 7-8% concentration - so isotonic. I use an old Lucozade measuring scoop which comes out just right. Taste is very neutral + not to sweet. You can use maltodextrine powder instead of glucose (maltodextrine has slightly higher GI value).
    Holland + Barett sell glucose + fructose powder. The other cheap source of glucose or maltodextrine powder is:- http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/carbohydrates/
    You should give it a try works out huge amounts cheaper.

My other skinflint tip for cheap energy bars is Aldi's cranberry and yogurt cereal bars.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    There may be no connection between the way you felt and the energy drink, you may have just had an off day. It's normal to try and pin down the cause of why we feel ill, you might have had the same experience even if you hadn't been using the energy drink. Personally, I never had any problems with energy drinks, but now I prefer to take proper food and plain water. It's less hassle, cheaper, more enjoyable and I'm not swilling my teeth with sugary water all day long.
  • Thats useful Hereford flyer, I'm now going to make my own, if you look up the original research re hydration it pretty much comes down to a 6% solution with sodium added if you are going to drink a lot to counter hyponatraemia (low blood sodium ie salt) risk. The rest is hype and flavouring. If you can titrate the correct number of jelly babies to your water consumption you'd probably achieve a similar end point for little expense.
  • Point taken Steve. I do tend to trust my taste buds when it comes to identifying what has made me feel unwell (and the thought of another mouthful of the drink made me feel queasy) but I accept that it might have just been an off day. Or a combination of things.

Useful info on the home brew too Hereford flyer. Cheers for that.