3 week tour ideas

fill_d
fill_d Posts: 153
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning to do a solo tour next year taking 3 weeks off work. Problem is there are too many locations to choose from! What are peoples recommendations? My choices seem to be; 3 weeks in UK (not too keen) ; travel for 3 weeks from home crossing channel (I live near south coast) and then get train back; travel somewhere miles away and cycle for 3 weeks then travel back; travel 3 weeks distance away across Europe and cycle home.

Also, I need to kit myself up- want to be as independent as possible so lots of lightweight camping gear needed. My plan is to probably buy a Thorn Rholoff tour bike- any opinions? Also lightweight gear recommendations would be appreciated. I'm getting myself all excited typing this!!

Comments

• fly out to the tip of italy's toe/sicily and cycle back from there. i might ask the missus if i can get a 3 week pass to do it myself.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fill_d</i>

I'm planning to do a solo tour next year taking 3 weeks off work. Problem is there are too many locations to choose from! What are peoples recommendations? My choices seem to be; 3 weeks in UK (not too keen) ; travel for 3 weeks from home crossing channel (I live near south coast) and then get train back; travel somewhere miles away and cycle for 3 weeks then travel back; travel 3 weeks distance away across Europe and cycle home.

Also, I need to kit myself up- want to be as independent as possible so lots of lightweight camping gear needed. My plan is to probably buy a Thorn Rholoff tour bike- any opinions? Also lightweight gear recommendations would be appreciated. I'm getting myself all excited typing this!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A three week leisurely LEJOG would fit the bill. DOn't underestimate the beauty and interest of our landscape. I've done LEJOG and JOGLE and had to be persuaded to do something else this summer otherwise I'd I've done a variation of one of the rides.

I'm doing a Channel to the Med ride and using European Bike Express to get back from the med. You could use the company to take you down to Span and cycle home. I'd considered that but decided to acclimitise to the heat as I rode southwards.
  • Thorn Rohloff... simply the best

the tour????

What do you like?
    Where would you like to see?

Get a ferry to somehwere and then cycle somehwere else.

Its the best

what works for someone else is NOT going to work for you.

Look at touring sites and find something you would like to do

LEJOG, have you done it? If not then do it and find some great places exist here
    If you have don e it. Well done.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • fill_d
    Hmmm not convinced about LEJOG. Not that I don't want to do it, but a mate did it recently so wanted to do something a bit different.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I like the idea of Roscoff - Nice. Saw it as a permanent audax route, and it has stayed with me as something worth doing - 1405km
  • fill_d
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

What do you like?

Well, I think I'm looking for off the beaten track, put the tent up anywhere for the night, interesting villages and bars, see a bit of wildlife, that sort of thing.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fill_d</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

What do you like?

Well, I think I'm looking for off the beaten track, put the tent up anywhere for the night, interesting villages and bars, see a bit of wildlife, that sort of thing.

Bike Express to Venice then head east to explore coast of Croatia and back through Slovenia. It's a thought. Or just explore Slovenia. Should meet your demands.

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.