It could have been authored by Tabernacle

linfordlunchbox
linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
edited June 2007 in Campaign
In my quest for knowledge in an attempt to qualify Tabernacles assertions of 4x4 drivers being much more aggressive than the rest of the people on the road, I didn't have much luck, but I did come across this little gem [:D]

Its like groundhog day [}:)]

http://www.mylinkspage.com/roadrage.html

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

Comments

• CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    Looks like a good site, actually.

And I see Google have done their usual fabulous job on matching "appropriate" adverts [:D][:D][:D]
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    It's a stupid argument in the first place. There are agressive drivers all over the place and in a variety of cars......

You can find plenty of 4x4 drivers cruising along in a nice, calm fashion, and you get some idiots flying along too.

But you can apply that to any vehicle.

Plenty of cyclists are serously aggressive on the road too, like me!!!!!!

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

It's a stupid argument in the first place. There are agressive drivers all over the place and in a variety of cars......

You can find plenty of 4x4 drivers cruising along in a nice, calm fashion, and you get some idiots flying along too.

But you can apply that to any vehicle.

Plenty of cyclists are serously aggressive on the road too, like me!!!!!!

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> The ones who drive 4x4s with the lightest touch are the ones paying for the fuel zimzum [:(]

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> In my quest for knowledge in an attempt to qualify Tabernacles assertions of 4x4 drivers being much more aggressive than the rest of the people on the road, I didn't have much luck, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's a shame.

Let me help:

What is already known on this topic
    Using a hand held mobile telephone while driving is associated with a fourfold increase in the risk of having a road crash

It is now illegal to use a hand held mobile telephone while driving in the UK

What this study adds

Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles in London were four times more likely than drivers of other cars to use hand held mobile phones and slightly more likely not to comply with the law on seat belts

Levels of non-compliance with both laws were slightly higher in the second phase of observation, when the law on mobile telephones was fully enforced

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7558/71

UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.[3]

2. Safe bet for a bump, Mail on Sunday, 10 October 2004

3. Admiral Insurance, in Sunday Times, 10 July 2005

Although passengers in a 4x4 are less likely to suffer harm in an accident than those in a smaller vehicle, their owners are increasing the risk of injury to themselves and others by their failure to observe common safety measures, according to research from Imperial College, London, which is published in the British Medical Journal.

The pattern is an example of "risk compensation", where the safer a person feels the riskier the behaviour they indulge in.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n16508295

Drivers of 4x4s are most likely to have been in an argument with traffic wardens (22 per cent), compared with 6 per cent of saloon car drivers.

RAC Foundation, 2004
  • zimzum42
    Did this research include the Fiat Panda 4x4, or the Subaru Forrester, or the Audi Quattro range?

How did they define a 4x4?

My Bikes My Commute
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> How did they define a 4x4? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We categorised passenger vehicles into cars (defined as vehicles that are not designed to travel off road) and four wheel drive vehicles (we compiled a list of these vehicles by searching the internet for major motor vehicle manufacturers and sales outlets).

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7558/71
  • zimzum42
    Can you publish the list of vehicles defined as 4x4?

My Bikes My Commute
  • rothbook
    The authors of this study suggest that risk compensation is a key factor in unsafe driving behaviour by owners of four wheel drives. In my view the personality of drivers of such vehicles should also be considered.

A four wheel drive is a symbol of aggressive ostentation. People who like to show off their wealth and power are less likely to abide by normal conventions of behaviour - so as well as using mobile phones they will park on yellow lines, smoke in no smoking areas, or push to the front of queues. Safety features are unlikely to be a major element in their choice of vehicle.

In short by their nature four wheel drive owners will break the law more often than other motorists.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    They will also frequently occupy disabled only spaces without having any physical disabilty.

Nice types.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • rothbook
    They also have more aggressive confrontations with traffic wardens:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news- ... s_id=14748

The Independent quotes statistics provided by a variety of sources; it says that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident than saloon car drivers (Admiral Insurance); urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage (Churchill Insurance); and that drivers of 4x4s are most likely to have been in an argument with traffic wardens (22%) compared to saloon car drivers (6%), from the RAC Foundation. All of which perhaps tells us more about the people who choose to drive 4x4s than about the vehicles themselves.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

Can you publish the list of vehicles defined as 4x4?

My Bikes My Commute
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is it not obvious?. A Range Rover is a 4X4, a 4 wheel drive Panda is a car
  • CometGirl
    OI! [:(!]

I drive a 4x4.

<font size="1">Admittedly, it's only mine in name, it doesn't live with me, and I only drive it about three times a year, but still...</font id="size1">
  • rothbook
    4x4 drivers:

Muck about

Can't swim

Wave at you and make you gay

Smell faintly of elastic bands

Can't whistle.

Trufact.
  • CometGirl
    I can swim, but it's true about the waving at people making them gay. Old Compton Street was full of working men's pubs till I drove my Disco through it waving at people.

I'm off to find a topless beach full of stunning girls and start waving now. [:D]
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Ooh, can I come?

I have a cunning plan. If I don't look directly at you, I won't be able to see you wave and so...

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

The authors of this study suggest that risk compensation is a key factor in unsafe driving behaviour by owners of four wheel drives. In my view the personality of drivers of such vehicles should also be considered.

A four wheel drive is a symbol of <b>aggressive ostentation</b>. People who like to show off their wealth and power are less likely to abide by normal conventions of behaviour - so as well as using mobile phones they will park on yellow lines, smoke in no smoking areas, or push to the front of queues. Safety features are unlikely to be a major element in their choice of vehicle.

In short by their nature four wheel drive owners will break the law more often than other motorists.

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

OI! [:(!]

I drive a 4x4.

<font size="1">Admittedly, it's only mine in name, it doesn't live with me, and I only drive it about three times a year, but still...</font id="size1">

Fred West only killed people about three times a year.
  • CometGirl
    True. [:)]

It's not actually mine, I just get use of it from time to time, and I'm not one to go looking gift horses in the mouth. If I ever get my own car, I will go for something less embarrassing, but in the meantime it makes a marvellous bike-transporter if there's no nearby train station! And it will be the support vehicle for the acf PBP efforts. [8D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

True. [:)]

It's not actually mine, I just get use of it from time to time, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Stop digging before rothbook crosses you off his Christmas card list.[;)]
  • CometGirl
    I'll just wave at him and all animosity will cease. He'll go off happily arm in arm with a nice young man, and I'll blare my way across London cutting swathes through the slow and the vulnerable, whilst defiantly smoking in ASLs and giving swans cancer.

Or something.
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

I'll just wave at him and all animosity will cease. He'll go off happily arm in arm with a nice young man, and I'll blare my way across London cutting swathes through the slow and the vulnerable, whilst defiantly smoking in ASLs and giving swans cancer.

Or something.

I heard he wasn't Gay - He's not Happy either judging by most of his posts either [;)]