Cheering Spectator!

008 Posts: 55
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Riding home last night, had a bit of a downhill before reaching a slight uphill... decided to put the hammer down and raced along at about 30mph so the incline wouldn't be so arduous.

Anyway, just before the road started to rise, there was this guy standing by a bus stop watching me whilst bouncing up and down, waving his arms in the direction I was travelling and shouting <b>GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO</b>!

This guy must've looked pretty crazy to all and sundry with his animated actions but it put a smile on my face and definitely gave me the motivation to carry on up the slope without down changing a few gears.

Almost made me feel like I was in the TDF [8D]. He must've been warming up for the real thing!

Anyone else experienced such pleasant craziness on their commute?

Comments

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    I've had a similar thing on an uphill section of the A6 in Leicester. Some fella stood up in his car, head out the sunroof shouting exactly the same thing...he must've been steering the car with his foot.
  • Last summer passed through a small village on my training loop.
    I saw several blokes struggling to raise some bunting across the road for the village fete.
    They spotted me, then panicked when they realised my speed. Some tried to remove the bunting others laid it flat on the road.
    in the nick of time they lifted the string of flags above their heads for me to pass underneath with a victory Tdf two arm salute..
    they all collapsed laughing and clapping my "victory"... the only 'race' i'll ever win.

ian
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    I wouldn't be so pleased. His bedroom wall is plastered with covert photos he's taken of you.

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>
    I wouldn't be so pleased. His bedroom wall is plastered with covert photos he's taken of you.

Why do you know what the inside of this 'gentlemans' bedroom looks like?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    100 \COMMANDO\""
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    LOL. Nice one, domtyler.
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    Coming down the hill from Stow On The Wold to Kingham in the Cotswolds last Summer on a day off work, and speedwise I was getting right to the edge of my comfort zone - right then a pimped-up hatchback full of youths passes me, one of them leaning out of the window shouting "Respect, mate, you is FAST!" I laughed so hard I almost fell off....

Can't drive, won't drive
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Because that man is me. [;)]

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Go riding in France! Last summer, we passed through villages and had people in their gardens shouting "allez allez!" "bon chance!" and even "Chapeau!" Made us feel much faster. Mnd you, we were all on recumbents, mostly trikes, so some of them may have thought we were disabled...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    008 Posts: 55
    My first thought was what the hell was this lunatic doing, then I realised he was actually cheering me on and it became a rather uplifting experience, even though it was just one guy by the side of the road [:I]!

I guess if all you're trying to do is get home from work... one supporter is better than nothing!

Imagine the feeling if a whole street full of people were cheering you on! Must give you the motivation to just keep on going. I bet that's what keeps the riders going in the TDF.

Mr P - I suppose one fan is a start [^]
    I would be a bit worried if he /you [;)] was a stalker though!
  • I was cycling down part of the Esher by-pass on my way to richmond, when a minibus full of girls (probably a footy team or something) came pass shouting 'go on mate, you've got a fit a*se and then they all cheered'.[:I]
    That made my day.[;)]

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    A couple of years ago on half a dozen fully loaded tourers we had a lot of 'Chapeau' and 'Alez' calls, best of all was when overtaking the local 30 strong chain gang on a long downhill stretch (they got us on the up hill though). It never seems to happen in the UK though
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

I was cycling down part of the Esher by-pass on my way to richmond, when a minibus full of girls (probably a footy team or something) came pass shouting 'go on mate, you've got a fit a*se and then they all cheered'.[:I]
    That made my day.[;)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And then you awoke from your deep sleep ........

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • Damn it FBFF!! i was enjoyiing my moment of glory, sadly i have now awoken from it.

No joke honest to god it happened!! It was probably that 'orrible lot from Rydens School down Hersham road.

• Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    my mum and sister did it to me once when i saw them on a main road. i found it slightly embarrassing and pretended i didn't know them. [:D]

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i got the thumbs up from a white van man for a seated trackstand. i laughed, it was fun.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • insomniboy
    insomniboy Posts: 30
    I raced a coachload of lasses from Finsbury Park to Camden back in Easter, almost lost them on the way up the hill but the traffic lights at the top were in my favour and they didn't stand a chance on the way down. So many of them grinning at me and me grinning back at so many of them, I absolutely loved it.
    From this, though, my new mission is a cheering spectator, that would really make my day.

/
    I'm not doing laps, I'm trying to find the way out!
    I\'m not doing laps, I\'m looking for the way out.
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    I always enjoy positive comments while riding and they can make me smile for ages [:D]

This has made me try to return the favour to other people in many walks of life - it might made someone smile for a bit, a while or even longer. Or not at all - in which case that makes me smile cos there's nowt much funnier than a grumpy b*gg*r.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">