Clothing

rich96
rich96 Posts: 13
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
As a newcomer to cycling what clothing do I need to buy?

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Padded Lycra shorts x 2
    Short Sleeve Jersey x 2
    Pair Arm warmers
    Pair Leg/Knee warmers
    Shoes
    Socks
    Cycling Cap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    VF and VFR
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • mitts, helmet, something to keep the rain off if you're likely to be out in the wet
    No chain, no gain
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    glasses to stop bugs flying in your eyes

Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    You don't need 2 of everything if you can wash and dry the kit between rides. One long-sleeve and one short-sleeve jersey is a better idea as you can layer one over the other for colder days. Some tights/leggings for colder days too - you wear your bike shorts underneath.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Depends what kind of cycling - 'nothing' could well apply but some of the above suggestions might become sensible/comfortable as you go.
  • rich96
    rich96 Posts: 13
    Any tips on what to look for when purchasing cycling shorts?
  • A label saying 'Assos' on it!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Are you a student/unemployed or director of a private equity firm or somewhere in between?

Spend at least ?20, this being the cost of the cheapest pair I have had that have been good enough to actually use. They were lightweight De Longhi ones. I bought some ?10 Nalini ones the other day and they have been binned already. for a decent pair look to spend around ?30-?40. As has already been stated, spend around ?100-?140 on Assos [bib] shorts and you will have the best that will last for life and perform better than anything else on the market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Suzuki gt series
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I've been cycling for about 3 months now. I've bought two pairs cycling shorts, one jersey, few different base layers (long sleeved and short sleeved), mitts, shoes, helmet, glasses & my new waterproof jacket has just arrived today (I went for the H2O following recommendations on here and I luuurrrve it).
    I managed to get some good offers from evans cycles on the shorts & shoes (I have huge feet so they had lots for me to choose from in my size (12!! (I'm a girl))
    Good luck spending
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    never know where to go on waterproofs, I push on as much as I can all the time and work up a fair old glow, even in the serious winter I don't wear more than a long sleeved top under a cheapie showerproof

do the new gortex/whatever really breath and so on? I'm used to getting well wet, never really bothered me that much, once you;re wet, you;re wet

feet maybe is a nuisance
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I started road riding again back in December/Jan:
    January (Even on the coldest days):
    Endura Stealth waterproof/breathable reflective longs (Roubaix fabric lined longs - no padding)
    Long sleeved jersey
    Gore Hi-Viz pac-lite waterproof with lots of extra stick-on reflectives
    Gore tex reflective "shower cap" to go over skid-lid
    Long finger gloves with padded palms that will handle being washed/rained on
    Reflective ankle bands and elbow-bands

May onwards:
    Short sleeved jersey with zipped pocket on back
    Foska Baggies (no liner/padding) with zipped pockets
    Cheap pair of padded leather/string backed cycling gloves

Skid lid.
    Glasses are useful but I've only worn them once in the last 1000 miles.
    Decent cycling shoes - Spez. BG ones have good footbeds

I find my saddle comfortable enough to not need padding - even when doing 80 miles.
    Other than a lightweight waterproof jacket / waterproof gilet, that will pack away on your bike/jersey back pocket, you can pretty much get out there in a pair of shorts and a T-shirt! The rear pockets on a proper jersey is useful, plus having a long zip on the front.
    Comfortable cycling shoes too.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tynan</i>

never know where to go on waterproofs, I push on as much as I can all the time and work up a fair old glow, even in the serious winter I don't wear more than a long sleeved top under a cheapie showerproof

do the new gortex/whatever really breath and so on? I'm used to getting well wet, never really bothered me that much, once you;re wet, you;re wet

<b>feet maybe is a nuisance</b>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

feet are definitely difficult [:I]

The waterproof jacket I have is very light, rolls up to something just a bit bigger than a tennis ball and has a pack which can velcro onto the bike. I got it because I'm doing some long events in the next few months and wanted to be prepared in case it started throwing down. It's also very, very bright - lots of reflective bits and fluorescent yellow - to hopefully make me a bit more visible in the rain. (if a pair of size 12 silver sparkly shoes hadn't done that already)

[:D]
  • warren7
    warren7 Posts: 16
    It's not so much a case of what you need as you need very little, just depends on what you want to make the ride more comfortable and enjoyable![:D]
  • stephen365
    stephen365 Posts: 27
    I would second the view that need vs want are two very different things!

Need equals for the next few weeks at least, probably one s/s shirt and a decent pair of shorts.

Want equals the two drawers full of kit that I have!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    What you <i>need</i> and what you might want.....

Are you a dedicated year-round rider or just pootling on warm summer evenings? I agree with warren7, and suggest you only buy stuff as and when you find you need it. By need I mean when your bum/head/fingers/palms/whatever become uncomfortable.

Some people seem to 'need' a œ1,500 bike and fancy clothing just to turn a pedal. I'm not saying expensive kit isn't good, but whether it's good value, or strictly necessary, is another thing.

At the moment I commute every day and go for rides in a cheap wicking t-shirt, secondhand fingerless gloves and either Altura Cruiser tights or M&S cotton shorts. An old Buffalo windshirt is used if it's below about 12C or threatening to rain. Below 6C I wear a very thin L/S fleece midlayer too, any more and I'm too hot after a couple of miles.

If you're going to ride in the rain a properly designed jacket (minimum œ50) & overtrousers would be worthwhile. Cheap walking overtrousers that pack up small will do if you don't ride in the rain much. Come the cold weather good gloves needn't cost the earth either.

If you do a lot of miles padded shorts may be worthwhile, though you can buy padded undershorts to go under your regular clothing.

My dhb glasses are one thing I wouldn't want to be without - no flies or bits in the eyes any more!

I'm a bit hesitant about buying clothing online as fit (which varies hugely) and feel are so important.

--
    Simon.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.