œ1000ish budget newbie which bike?

Paulofortuna
Paulofortuna Posts: 5
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi Guys, new to road bikes and WILL buy something in the next few days, mainly for fitness use, but will join a cycle club to encourage me to get out there. Choice i am leaning towards is the GIANT alliance Zero or 1, i have a friend of a friend and get a discount on one of these, Specialized Carbon is just in the price range too, there is also a rake of what appear to be bargains on Ebay, but i think i will go for new. Thanks in advance Paul.

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Have a look at the Planet X alu frame. They are selling off the alu framed ones for œ199. You could build one for less than œ1000.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Planet-X also do their very nice full carbon frame with 105 builds starting at œ999.00. Check out the specs at www.planet-x-bikes.com
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Planet X carbon. See below. :-). Not just great value but great customer service too.

My bikes:
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=291574
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=317809
  • TRcp
    TRcp Posts: 418
    Condor Fratello with Veloce for œ1000.
    Takes mudguards so you will keep riding through the Winter !!!
  • yer the condors are lovely.

as are the planet-x haha

id get something along the lines of the condor or plannet-x, because theyre a bit more individual as well as being great bikes.
  • PhilAcp
    PhilAcp Posts: 244
    Probably not quite as good value as the Planet-X, but my mate has just bought an Orbea Aqua for about that money. Nice looking bike and not a name you see every day.

www.brightonmitre.co.uk
  • Just had a squint at the Condor... its not well, up to the minute styling is it?
    I know i've left myself open to a good slagging, but even the test i read said it might be a bit retro for some. But liking the advice, Cheers Paul.
  • Well i've taken the plunge and bought a specialized Tarmac PRO frame and forks, with 105 Groupset. The frame and forks are used but an immaculate part exchange, from a guy who did'nt like it and went for a Trek, less than 6 months old. To be built up with brand new components œ1100 all in. Sound ok? ( too late i've left a deposit anyway :) )