Bike in canal

wai
wai Posts: 36
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Not one you hear of every day.

I was doing a commute home yesturday, happily bombing along the Grand Union Canal when I approached a section of the pathway where there was some standing water and uneven paving slabs. Moving diagonally through this section, my front wheel ran along the edge of a raised portion of a paving slab and momentum caused my body to head off at an angle to the direction my bike was suddenly travelling at.

Whilst I had a tumble against some mud and nettles, my bike skidded into the canal. Thankfully the panier bag detached before falling in. After a short break to assess the damage (bruised shoulder, hip and some grazes on shin) I luckily found that the bike had sank rear first and by lying flat along the canal's edge, I could easily pull the bike back up without having to take a dip.

Unfortunately the front fork had bent quite badly and the front wheel has a dip in it. The back wheel also seems to be out of true as well. I couldn't effect enough of a repair there and then, but a kind soul stopped and helped me, before showing me the way to Willesden Junction, just a short walk away, so I could get home quickly.

Luckily the bike's just a cheapo œ270 Halfords Carrera road bike and now seems like an idea time to upgrade the forks and wheels.

I was thinking of some ITM 4EVER carbon forks (with eyelets) and a pair of Mavic Askium wheels. The start of the canal section of my route seems more suited to hybrid / mtb than a racer and I was hoping for something that can stand up to the bumpy ride but didn't cost more than the bike.

Cheers,

Wai

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Try and find a road fork with as big a clearance as you can get - if you can fit some 28mm or 32mm wide tyres then they should be fat enough for towpaths etc. Askiums are strong, reliable wheels.
  • "if you can fit some 28mm or 32mm wide tyres"

But will the rear take them?

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Worth a look - if its a cheapy - they're not usually dialled in for close clearances are they ?
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    What's the problem with having 2 different tyre widths?

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wai</i>

my bike skidded into the canal. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I know they say you should always lock your bike but this is going too far
    <a>road</a>
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    No point in 28 or 32s. If you're going on smooth ground, get 23s, if you're not, ride an MTB.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

No point in 28 or 32s. If you're going on smooth ground, get 23s, if you're not, ride an MTB.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unless you like the comfort and extra security from snakebite punctures that the fatter tyres give you.

Maybe the roads are much better maintained down your way but round here there's not that much that is smooth enough that you won't notice the difference in comfort between 23s and 28s. Unless you are racing or time trialling I can't see the advantage to using 23s.

I have spotted this product that may well appeal to your puritan ethic for cycling http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html [;)]

<hr noshade size="1">If BMWs are such good cars why do their drivers never trust their brakes as they approach an amber light?
    <hr noshade size="1">If BMWs are such good cars why do their drivers never trust their brakes as they approach an amber light?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    If you are worried about sturdiness, the KF essentials steel fork (made by Tange) has your name on it. Looks nice to me :)

If you want sturdy wheels, you should check out the M:Wheels Sora hubs laced to Mavic Open Sports or CXP21's. Should be tough. Any LBS can get this stuff because they are through some of the biggest distributors in the country.
  • First off does your frame support i 1 1/8 fork? as i found my carrera virtuoso didnt a few weeks back, if it doesnt good luck trying to find a 1" carbon fork with full carbon steerer.
    Also a another vote for mavic aksium wheels, bombproof and quite light.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/