Best Bike for Entry Level Teenager

Natalie and Patrick
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi, my son wishes to purchase himself (on a budged of œ170) a road bike - Raleigh Airlite and Barracuda are being considered. He does enjoy mountain bike cycling and has a decent alluminium framed bike. Can anyone offer some further advice regarding the road bike and if the Raleigh is a good entry level for a 13 old boy.

Thank you

Comments

• edwardvarla
    edwardvarla Posts: 121
    If its the Barracuda Azzurri you are looking at, then I would definitely go for the Raleigh. Virtually all road bikes these days have gear levers combined with the brake levers, so he should get a bike like that if he wants a taste of what a road bike is like. The Barracuda has downtube shifters so would not be a true reflection.

Bear in mind that at what we lucky people would describe as entry-level (œ300 to œ500), you will get carbon fibre forks, which smooth the ride. Your son won't have those so the ride might be a bit rough.

If he does start to enjoy it, he should get some clip-in pedals instead of the strap-in ones which will come with the bike. He will need shoes to match.

Make sure he gets some padded lycra shorts.

Cheers

Edward
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Do you live anywhere near a Decathlon store? They sell entry-level bikes for between œ140-200 depending on the sale they are having, and are thought to be the best sub-œ300 bikes.

There are stores in Stockport, Sheffield, Dudley, Lakeside (Thurrock) and Nottingham.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    If you live in or near to London there is a decathlon store in the docklands near to Surrey Docks. Sorry, Keys.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Jackus
    Jackus Posts: 55
    Yep, Canada Water on the Jubilee.

-Jack
    -Jack
  • I started with an Airlite, nothing wrong with them for the price, but like jonny, I suggest you look at Decathlon if you can get to one - check out their website to see what's on offer, unfortunatly they don't do mail order.

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I see you live near Grantham, so the Nottingham Decathlon store isn't that far for you(30 miles. It's just off Jcn 26 of the M1, next to IKEA. Or you could just buy the Raleigh from your local shop.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have had a Raleigh Airlite for a year. It cost œ190 and the only thing I have changed is the bottom bracket for a sealed one (œ22 LBS)and a new rear tyre. I am now looking at up grading but this bike has been excellent. I did some time trialing in the early 1980's and the Raleigh is every bit as good as my old cycle was.
  • Its got to be ebay or the classifieds you'll get more for your money.