how to fit new bottom bracket?

stefano
stefano Posts: 254
edited June 2007 in Road general
Has anyone changed the bottom bracket on a Langster?
Specialized indicates square taper, 68 x 103 (possibly JIS) which is very difficult to find. What if I buy a Miche or Shimano 68 x 107, which is 2mm longer in each side and put some washers to adjust the chainring on the cranks?
Any recommendations for a reliable BB?

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I am guessing you have Sugino cranks you should source a Sugino BB. I am not sure about what alternatives or substitutes there are but Will at HubJub may know?
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The Miche BB, although ISO has adjustable cups both sides so you can tune the chainline - on offer with Ribble at the moment for œ13. I ran a pair of Sugino cranks on a Chorus 103mm BB for a while quite successfully - the bike came like that and I had no reason to change - non-drive crank/chainstay clearance was pretty close though. Campag Veloce/AC-H in 107mm is cheap/robust too for less than a tenner.
  • stefano
    I do have Sugino cranks and I have just seen their website, they are actually ISO and not JIS as I wrote before, but I could not find any 68x103 Sugino or other similar BB on the web. I have seen an FSA in wiggle but is out of stock.[:(]

The Miche BB with SKS bearings looks good but if I tune the BB in such a way that the axel moves to the left so as to brink the chainline 2mm closer to the frame (to much with 68x103 BB size) don't I also move 2mm further out the left crack?
  • monty_dogcp
    Yes, the RH crank & pedal will move outboard, but would be almost imperceptable - look at the difference in Q-factor between a road bike and an MTB and you'll realise the body is pretty flexible in this respect. Try and find a used Chorus or Record BB if money is tight.
  • stefano
    I have checked the Campagnolo BBs and they come in ISO but in 102 lengths which should be 0.5mm shorter each side. At the moment this appears the best solution. I would like to pay up to œ30-œ40 but still I wouldn't expect to be so difficult to buy a BB[:0]
  • nhdb13
    nhdb13 Posts: 133
    If the current BB is JIS the cranks might not be sitting fully on the taper? i.e. if you change to a 102mm ISO BB the cranks might sit too close, maybe a 107 ISO would be a better option?
  • stefano
    I have now done lots of study regarding short size BBs. There are only a few options for 68 x 103 BBs because 103 is one of the shortest (eg Shimano has stopped produced this size, starts only from 107). With regard to my bike (Spec. Langster) I have finally found that the BB is JIS. After searching the web and making a couple of phone calls I found the following 68x103, JIS BBs available:

FSA Ultimax, œ30 (broadly out of stock)
    Stronghold SBBA, œ40 (limited availability)
    TA AXIX Light, œ40-œ45 (limited availability)
    Sugino, œ15 (limited availability, the cheaper, possibly quite reliable?)
    Phil Wood, œ75 (very good, limited availability in this size, rather expensive)

I hope the above info will be helpful with 100s of Langster or other bike owners with these short BBs. I have also noticed that many well reputable shops in the "single"/"fixed" market were aware of the shortage when I contacted them but could not help unless I had to wait 1 or 2 weeks to be ordered (thus order as fast as possible). I was also amazed that even a big (one of the biggest) bike store that sells Langsters did not even know about such a short BB!!!

Any suggestion on quality/reliability of the above BBs?
    [:)]
  • Soupcp
    Soupcp Posts: 120
    I've just been through the same process myself after finding the stock BB stuffed after a couple of months.

I've gone for the TA AXIX Light, as it is v.light and the bearing cartridges can be replaced, so it should work out cheaper in the long run.

I originally bought a Stronglight SBBA 103mm, but found that the smaller size (103mm) is only available in ISO (Only the middle sized spindle lengths are supplied in JIS), so exchanged it for a TA.

The TA also uses standard Shimano tooling to fit.

If I think on I'll let you know how I get on with it, once fitted.

How's My Cycling? Call 0800-KISS-MY-ARSE
    How\'s My Cycling? Call 0800-KISS-MY-ARSE
  • monty_dogcp
    You could probably add Royce to your list too - you'd have to wait, but then it would give you time to save up for it! If I were you, I'd try to find some replacement cranks that at least take a readily available BB!
  • hichakhok
    hichakhok Posts: 36
    could I exchange my miche primato bottom bracket with a royce 107??, or am I only able to use miche bb with miche track chainset?
  • jakob_s
    jakob_s Posts: 477
    Royce should be able to make you any size you want.

FGG #2384
  • stefano
    Thanks it looks that TA AXIX is a good solution (especially if the bearings are replaceable) I am also thinking the more expensive Phil Wood, Royce I have to say that it is quite expensive. For the info, today I received a reply form Sugino Japan, they named Dolan and Condor UK dealers, I am not sure if they stock any 68 x103 JIS BBs!
  • Soupcp
    Forget the TA Axix Light with a 103mm spindle. The drive side crank bottoms out on the top of the cup, before full engagement of the taper. The non-drive side is even worse due to the design of the BB cup sticking out from the frame shell to allow the use of a lockring, the crank gets no way near being seated on the taper.

I bought this BB on the advice of the dealer who sold me the bike. [:(!]

There's no way I'll be replacing it with the PowerPro/RPM ****e BB that it came with.

• Soupcp
    My bike dealer now suggests that I take an angle grinder/dremel to tailor the cranks so that they fit. As there is no other way around this problem, that is what I'll do.

• demmerson
    demmerson Posts: 91
    It sounds like your Axix has an ISO axle not JIS.
  • Soupcp
    No, it's definately JIS.

Job's a good'un!! [:)]

Minimal metal needed to be removed from the RH crank. The LH took a little longer, required more work, now fits a treat. Just needs some black paint/nail varnish to blacken the bare aluminium.

• stefano
    I finally ordered the Sugino BB from HubJub. It costs only œ15 (+œ2 postage) and I think is guaranteed to fit with the same brand Sugino cranckset (it's certainly JIS).
    It is a custom order but very good service from HubJub I have to say.
    The initially fitted BB (a Specialized own Branded BB) lasted about 16 months and 11,000 kms. I expect the Sugino one to last more.
    [:)]
    I'll be back with comments when Installed