Bikes for Big lads

kobuskint
kobuskint Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Some advice please:
I am 6'4" and 110kg and ride a 18 mile commute along a cycle path. It takes me an hour. It is fairly flat, with two decent hills.
I carry a pannier and wear SPDs. My first bike came off ebay and four months in has taken some hammer. I have quite got into my cycling and naturally NEED a new bike. I am hoping to use the cycle scheme and so would budget œ800-œ1000inc.

What makes are good for big lads and can take the weight? I will go and try some in the shops, but could use some pointers.

Cheers

Comments

• I'm 6'4", 17 stone and ride an On One 456 and a Carrera Gryphon, see piccies in sigs. If you're riding smooth stuff, then a normal road bike will be fine, if you're off roading it, then a you need strong stuff

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">My Photos</font id="red"> <font color="blue">My Inbred</font id="blue"> <font color="teal"></font id="teal">My Carrera Gryphon <font color="black">My Single Speed</font id="black"> <font color="green">TyMBR</font id="green">
    </font id="size1">
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    I'm 6'2" and weight 23 stone, and I have a Specialized Tricross Sport '07. Love it .... and it's not given up on me yet (although only done about 400-500 miles on it).

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • No weight limit on ANY trek. Save some moeney and get a 7.3 fx disk hybrid for about œ400 All you'll need for cycle path riding.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    There was a nice looking Kona cyclo-crosser in last month's C+ with disk brakes.
    For 800 to 1000, subject to any manufacturer's load caveats, you could get yourself a nice steel Audax machine with handbuilt wheels - something like a 36 hole 3x rear wheel, and something lighter on the front would do the trick.

Factory wheels are very good, however it seems quite common to make the wheels ultra-skinny at the expense of durability.
  • kobuskint
    Thanks for your thoughts. Dakid, I had not seen this before and am very taken with it. I will go and give it a whirl!

Cheers

K
  • dakidcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kobuskint</i>

Thanks for your thoughts. Dakid, I had not seen this before and am very taken with it. I will go and give it a whirl!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think it's great ... hope you enjoy the test ride [:)]

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • laertes
    laertes Posts: 68
    Im 6'4 and 96 Kg and have had no troubles on good bike paths with a Trek 7300 hybrid for œ370.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dakid</i>

I'm 6'2" and weight 23 stone<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:0]
  • kobuskint
    OK I have lloked around and checked things out.
    The choice is now between

1.) Kona Jake 2007 Road Bike
    and
    2.) Specialized Tricross Sport

I am waiting to try the Specialized, but the Kona was pretty well suited.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

K
  • dakidcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pirahna</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dakid</i>

I'm 6'2" and weight 23 stone<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:0]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL ... all muscle, honest *cough*

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kobuskint</i>

OK I have lloked around and checked things out.
    The choice is now between

1.) Kona Jake 2007 Road Bike
    and
    2.) Specialized Tricross Sport

I am waiting to try the Specialized, but the Kona was pretty well suited.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

K
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can't really go wrong with either. pick the one you like the colour of [;)]
    I'd go with the Kona as i have one already, but either will be fine

Mleh Mleh Mleh