prescription sunglasses

hellsbellscp
hellsbellscp Posts: 75
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, I know i've already started a thread about this recently but i've not been having much luck finding what i want. All the online stuff looks great but I'm reluctant to buy glasses online as I'd really want to try them on first before parting with my money.
I've tried various opticians who have all looked at me confused, and told me that they can't produce prescription lenses for wrap around cycling sunglasses.
Can anyone tell me, are there any opticians in central london (preferably near covent garden) where I can buy a decent pair of prescription sunglasses for cycling? I'm running out of time now as i need some before my holiday in 2 and a half weeks time.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Give Optilabs a call and ask them. They may still be able to help you (although the time is now pretty tight).

In the past they've been willing to send some example frames through the post for people to try before buying. Look at the website and pick a few frames then give them a call. It can't help to talk to them.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • I used a small, family operated opticians. They were great, did a lot of research before deciding I was too goggle eyed to fit trendy specs, ordered in some lens systems for me to try and eventually we agreed on lenses for straight sunglasses. they then spend ages blending the right tint - sent them back twice because the technician was not satisfied with the job done at the labs. Been using them for two years now and they are perfect.

Unfortunately, I'm in East Yorkshire and, unless you're a big Bridlington fan, I doubt you're coming here on your hols (Bridlington is looking particularly lovely at this time of year, by the way).

Maybe, you could get some numbers from yellow pages and chat to them on the phone. It probably took 2-3 weeks to get mine right, but I was looking for a tint which would work at night against headlights as I work odd shifts.
    No chain, no gain
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    As long as the lens isn't too curved and your prescription isn't too strong you should be able to get an optician to put a prescription lens into any pair of sunglasses that take your fancy. I bought a pair of Arnettes that my optician then put a prescription lens into with no problems. Ask around the opticians to see if they can do it then go and find a pair of sunnies that are suitable. Mine are not completely wrap around but are fine for cycling and look good off the bike too.

Mind you, after finally biting the bullet and overcoming my squeamishness I've recently started using daily disposable contact lenses and they're great. It was just a case of perseverance for me as I'd tried before and found it too tricky, now its a 1 minute job to put them in and take them out. Obviously I was then able to then buy any pair of sunnies I wanted. You might be able to sort out contacts within 2.5 weeks?

Sorry...I just realised you were after a specific optician but I think you're going wrong by asking for cycling specific wrap around shades. Just ask if they can do prescription shades then find a pair that is suitable. Although I didn't end up using them, The Sunglasses Hut were good as they had an agreement with an independent local optician to put in prescription lenses so chances are your local branch will be able to do the same.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind...give me the electric chair for all my future crimes...
  • Optilabs gets another vote.
    They're near to Croydon and did a quick rush job for me last year.

S
  • bobbyp
    bobbyp Posts: 275
    Any of the cycling glasses with clip in prescription lens holderrs should be good. I've got a pair of rudy project Rydon with inserts that are very good. Any decent LBS should have the glasses and inserts and any optician can do the lenses, probably while you wait. I used a company called gosportspex who did the lenses as well and turned the whole thing round in about 3 days.
  • Thanks for the advice. I managed to find an opticians that sold what i wanted & ended up getting some Oakleys. VERY expensive but can pay in monthly installments, interest free. I tried lots of different glasses on and found that most of the cheaper ones (well, <b>less expensive</b>, they certainly weren't 'cheap'!!) didn't suit me or feel right or comfortable.
  • Cool, so cool.
    No chain, no gain
  • ysarn
    ysarn Posts: 189
    All the problems that seem to be of issue depend on how bad your eyesight is. If you are not very short sighted then you should be able to get most things with a prescription lens. If you are going for a shield type wrap round frame like an Oakley M-Frame, Rudy Project Rydon then the front shield is not suitable for prescription lenses - the wrap round would be silly and heavy. You can get inserts to put behind for things like that though.
    You are more likely to be able to use a frame that has seperate lenses at the front and not too much wrap to have lenses straight in. Lenses have a degree of curve on them called the base curve. The higher the base curve number the more curved the lenses are which goes nicely for sports glasses. However if you are very short sighted (-7 for me) then the lenses for these are brutally expensive (œ300+) and can distort. You will notice that high index lenses, so called "Thin and Light" are very flat at the front so have a low base curve which is only suitable for flat fronted frames. A good site is the Bolle one, as it tells you what the curves are. Personally I will have to go down the route of the Rudy Project Jak 90 as it is the only frame that seems flat enough to give a reasonable result for me. Oh and BTW, to be safe you need polycarbonate lenses so they don't break and reactolite as you can't change the lenses unless you go the insert route.
    Oakleys are money for old rope, discuss...
  • I've got a pair of normal Oakleys form the US and then sent them off to oakley in UK for the prescription lenses. Slightly cheaper that way