Off-the-peg singlespeed MTBs

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road general
...(and frames) available in the UK, and not too far towards the boutique end of the market, because it will be for commuting.

So far I've found these complete bikes:
Kona Unit
Cannondale Bad Boy
Orange P7 One
GT Peace

...and these frames:
Surly 1 x 1
Dialled Bikes Love/Hate
On-One Slot Dropout
Salsa Juan Solo
Van Nicholas Zion

Have I missed any? At the moment I incline towards the GT Peace, because although it seems a bit portly (27.3lbs with a rigid fork) it has the eccentric bottom bracket that I really, really want.

Comments

• On-One come complete too!

Genesis is one you missed

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • davetcp
    davetcp Posts: 3
    Or a Dawes Edge One might do you if you can find one secondhand
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Cotic Simple?

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/simple.html

Loving mine....
  • So, do those in the know think that the GT Peace is heavy, at 27.3lbs, for the given spec.?

I'd be buying it mainly for the frame; I don't want to take most of the parts off and find that what's left is a right old lump.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

here it is. nice looking bike imo
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php ... _bike=TRUE<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree! And available as a frame, too...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JonEdwards</i>

Cotic Simple?

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/simple.html
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Looks very nice... but for my project I'm hoping to find something rather less long, and designed for 80mm travel forks.
  • urbanfatboy
    urbanfatboy Posts: 193
    how about the Charge Stove? Maybe more of a pubbike, but steel and singlespeed for quite cheap.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

So, do those in the know think that the GT Peace is heavy, at 27.3lbs, for the given spec.?

I'd be buying it mainly for the frame; I don't want to take most of the parts off and find that what's left is a right old lump.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It is going to be a fair old lump as it is a fairly cheap bike. I built up a Dialled Love/Hate a few months back and that frame was a bit of a lump (2.5kg for frame and EBB) yet the complete bike was just over 20lbs.
  • 27.3lbs? Heavy, I reckon. But then a triple triangle and discs and an e b/b...And pretty cheap.

For a s/s I'd have thought 25 with bounce, 22 rigid!

But then I'd go for a light alu standard frame and run a tensioner - cheaper and less portly I'd have thought.

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • quokka
    quokka Posts: 34
    Not sure if this one is available over there but I've had my Raleigh XXIX for 5months now and love it.

www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=341
  • Mr Smith of bikeplus tells me that the Van Nicholas Zion singlespeed now uses a Bushnell eccentric and vertical dropouts.

Ti + EBB = drool! and bike weight would be ca. 23lbs with bounce and discs. Only problem now is whether I want to spend that much on a commuting bike... but I tend towards "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten" [:)]
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    œ599 for this this. Bargain.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.
  • hazeii
    hazeii Posts: 233
    If you're quick about it, On-One are selling off a couple of steel 456 frames with EBB - currently being advertised on their front page (18" only).
  • Thanks; but the On-One designs are a bit loooong for me (and are for 130mm travel forks), so it seems to be between the Genesis (sensible) and the Van Nicholas (extravagant). Decisions, decisions...
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Check my classifieds ad - TITANIUM frame with EBB for SS duties, not a long top tube and will happily run 100mm forks. Need to sell so prepared to barter (to an extent!)

I've tried the darkside and now I want a slice of the action...
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • Looks nice, but I think it's too big for me given my intended use (with drop bars).

Good luck with finding it a loving new home!
  • "Ti + EBB = drool! and bike weight would be ca. 23lbs with bounce and discs."

That would be a very good weight, I reckon! My newly acquired Marin Ti with rigids (On One) and XT/LX mix and 1.5 slicks comes in at nearly 25lbs with pedals and cage and seat pack. The bounce and discs probably equate to the gear thingies!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    My Ti frame with a Rohloff rear hub and Maverick SC32 forks was about 25lbs

I've tried the darkside and now I want a slice of the action...
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davej</i>

That would be a very good weight, I reckon!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ah, that would be with the expensive (Fox) forks which save a whole pound [:p]

I'm still hanging fire, because this sort of enthusiasm can turn out very expensive if it's indulged over-hastily and then turns out to have been a momentary whim after all. But since I've still got twelve more years of coming to this dungeon every day, I kind of think I deserve something to encourage me to do so by pedal power...
  • spatter
    spatter Posts: 262
    I've got a Gary Fisher RIG with a Rohloff fitted. If you are tall the 29 inch wheeled bikes are the future. I will never go back to traditional gears or 26" wheels.