People in a good mood today!

Totalnewbie
Totalnewbie Posts: 932
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Well people seem cheery today!

First there was a car following me (at a safe distance) up a street in Soho (my position was blocking her anyway but she wasn't sat on my back wheel). As she'd been considerate I pulled over a bit once there was a break in the parked cars and rode there for a bit to let her pass (she was the only car). She waved to say thanks.

Then a van man let me turn right in front on him and smiled at me.

Then I had to ring my bell at a ped as I went past a green light (I usually just give way to them but I knew the green light was about to change so was going a bit faster than I usually do) and he gave me a cheery grin.

Of course it was all a bit spoiled by the stinky Westminster rubbish truck right at the end that passed too close and then cut me up so he could sit in front of me at the lights (so I got to sit behind him, mmmm, fragrant), but I think they've got a thing against cyclists anyway, it's the second time it's happened (I'd left myself space so it was ok, but still not very nice).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg

Comments

• mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    I agree! I had a good run in today, too. Fellow commuter said a cheery 'good morning' to me at the lights. Drivers giving space, courteously letting me through etc. What's the world coming to?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    National Bike Week.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I suprisingly find most mornings when I have to turn right across a major road 9 times out of 10 its a HGV or WVM who will let me past.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Christ I had a crap run in and out yesterday.[B)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • goo_mason
    goo_mason Posts: 148
    I've heard of the crap running out, but running in beforehand ?! Scary.

[:D][:D][:D]

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
  • Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Unfotunately I found it was quite the opposite, with all manner of vehicles occupying the bus lane - vans & BMW's being the worst offenders.

Took primary position in the bus lane as I usually do, noticed the old BMW behind me and stayed where I was. He beeped, I told him where to go (overslept and feeling cranky) and at the next set of lights he proceeded to hurl abuse at me.

Him: "Why don't you get out of the way, you piece of s**t?"

Me: "It's a bus lane!"

Him: "I'm the f***ing police, you c***"

Me: "Do you have any ID?"

H: "London's a big place. Why don't you just f*** off out of London? Why don't you get out? Go somewhere like New Zealand, you f***ing pr**k......"

Didn't hear the rest of his incoherent rant - the lights changed green and I was gone.

What a charmer.

On the other hand did notice a porsche turning off Tower Bridge onto Queen Elizabeth Street giving the cyclist also making the same turning vast amounts of room - a welcome bit of balance redress.
  • Wow, that is charming!

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by goo_mason</i>

I've heard of the crap running out, but running in beforehand ?! Scary.

[:D][:D][:D]

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cheers bigears![}:)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • something else to note was that at the junction of embankment and Vauxhall bridge i stopped at the lights and a grand total of 4 cars were there with me! they all had a lane to themselves...

it was only that evening that i realised (and hoped it was not the case) that there may have been a crash behind me.
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    i had a bus right on my wheel down pentonville rd on the way home yesterday.

I gave him the slow down wave, he gave me the get out the fking way wave, i shook my head and gave him the tsser wave. At the lights in the asl, i turned around to ask him wtf.. and he said, "you should get out the fking way". I said, "why? so you can squeeze past me, to stop at the lights and then i overtake you and sit in the asl. or so i have to sit behind you outside king cross thameslink while your at your stop breathing in your fumes?" Didnt have anything to respond to that so i called him a tw@ and off i went on my merry way.

Love london. Never a dull commute.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WyS</i>

i had a bus right on my wheel down pentonville rd on the way home yesterday.

I gave him the slow down wave, he gave me the get out the fking way wave, i shook my head and gave him the tsser wave. At the lights in the asl, i turned around to ask him wtf.. and he said, "you should get out the fking way". I said, "why? so you can squeeze past me, to stop at the lights and then i overtake you and sit in the asl. or so i have to sit behind you outside king cross thameslink while your at your stop breathing in your fumes?" Didnt have anything to respond to that so i called him a tw@ and off i went on my merry way.

Love london. Never a dull commute.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Next time, just let him pass you, what is your problem?
  • WyS
    I was doing 25mph down a hill. id pass him at the asl when he hit red, and if he <s>made green</s> jumped red i didnt want to be stuck behind him outside the thames link for 5 mins while he lets people on and off the bus.

i inhale enough fumes as it is.
  • plusgourmande, there is no good way out of that situation. WyS stayed as safe as he possibly could. Do you really think the bus driver would have given him enough room on his way past, before jamming on the brakes for the lights?

I don't know why this is in a happy thread though!!

• Well i didn't know it was downhill. I'm just surprised he tried to pass you at that speed.
    I think you'd do better to just ignore him, or better still, speed up, so you don't even have to deal with him. There's hardly enough room for a bus to overtake a bicycle on the stretch of road anyway, it's narrow.

Insulting him when he's on your wheel is really dangerous though, don't you reckon? Look how big he is compared to you, all he has to do it clip your back wheel and you could be crippled for life.

Be careful out there.
  • I agree about not insulting him, at least until he isn't in a position to mow you down!

• WyS
    its the only language they understand! he slowed down after that.