Tyre exploded

miffedcp
miffedcp Posts: 315
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Not technically a commute but non the less **** scary.

Was riding by the firth of fourth between Gullen and Muscleborough yesterday and going round a 90 degree left hand turn in a small village and my back tyre exploded, much skidding, feet flying off the pedals and trying to brake while not getting run over on the other side of the road escapade ensued

Was a bit scary really.

j

Comments

• Masonavickof
    Masonavickof Posts: 278
    Scary..

I've done that a few years back..

Bad...especially if it's the front one..

It's not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.
    It\'s not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Mine exploded too a couple of months ago. Fortunately it happened as the bike was in its normal place in the front room. It made the baby cry though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Ipad Cases
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    Sounds scary!
    Serious question...when you say 'exploded', do you really mean it? I guess you have high pressure (120psi+?) skinny tyres...are they likely to go 'BANG' on you in a blow-out kind of way?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Masonavickof</i>

Scary..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's a trick that thrifty cyclists do, which is switch over the back and the front tyres when the back one is worn out. Sheldon Brown specifically advises against that (or simply allowing the front tyre to become very worn) because of the danger of a front-tyre blowout.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • goo_mason
    goo_mason Posts: 148
    I almost didn't twig that you meant Gullane and Musselburgh there... scary though - glad you're OK !

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    one apparently went on the Brighton ride at the w/e

proper bang like a gun

seemed to be quite a few people changing tubes on the verge, all seemed to be the more serious types
  • Corker
    Corker Posts: 34
    I had one blow just as i was passing a horse and rider last year - fortunately the rider managed to stay on:horses do go fast on two legs! AS she had seen me slow for her I wasn't blamed - she had a fright and I had a walk home.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    that would be very bad if you were going downhill at 50mph yea?

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Not really no.Doh!

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    I had a tyre blow up on me a couple of years ago going through Hackney. It was at 150psi, and make a noise like a gunshot. I did see several people duck for cover!
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Masonavickof</i>

Scary..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's a trick that thrifty cyclists do, which is switch over the back and the front tyres when the back one is worn out. Sheldon Brown specifically advises against that (or simply allowing the front tyre to become very worn) because of the danger of a front-tyre blowout.

This sig is under construction.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">did that on my mtb once. being a roadie at heart i had no idea that the tyres on the mtb were wheel-specific. the upshot was a 20mph spill when the front tyre lost traction. it bloody (literally) hurt. good excuse to get a new lid though.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • I had one go on me (a tub) a few years ago. BANG!!!!! Just next to the "Hospital - Quiet please" sign outide Leeds General Infirmary...not sure whether we made more noise laughing about it!
  • A friend of mine had one go on Manchester Victoria Station in the 70s when IRA activity was high. Everyone ran for cover. Fortunately they did not recognis the source of the noise - we stood there as dead pan as possible.
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I had a tyre blow out when doing 50 mph down Holme Moss towards Longdendale. Just managed to hold it together and gradually stop. I was well cheesed off that I had to walk down the hill. Managed to tape it up at the bottom and rode to Glossop to get a new tyre.