National Bike Week

Hairy Jock
Hairy Jock Posts: 558
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
As we are now in National Bike Week, how many of you have Bike2Work events where you live and work?

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.

Comments

• In my faculty we had a Bike2work event this morning - free breakfast for those cycling in; free bike check-up/minor repairs by Dr Bike of Lifecycle (amazing the sorry state that some people's bikes were in - all made good!); PC on hand for security advice; a few Bug members on hand to show off their bikes and discuss their finer points; display with maps and leaflets etc.

It went well (esp Dr Bike), just a slightly dissappointing number of visitors. The weather today wasn't great, and looks like it won't be all week, which might have some effect.
  • squiredcp
    squiredcp Posts: 964
    For the second year running my company is doing absolutely nothing... (its only my second year here, so I can't comment on previous years).
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    Not only are we doing nothing, I drove in to get my car MOTed.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by squired</i>

For the second year running my company is doing absolutely nothing... (its only my second year here, so I can't comment on previous years).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, to be honest, my Uni may have not done anything if left to it's own devices, but they were passively co-operative with the Bicycle Users Group's initiative. However, we have just had a travel planner appointed so I am hopeful there will be more of a lead in future.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by squired</i>

Snap! but I doubt mine done anything any other year.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Our multi-disciplinery engineering consultancy with bike to work scheme and 'sustainability' as one of the five 'visions and values', is not doing anything. To be fair though, it's often down to individuals volunteering and I didn't get off my arse to do anything - I do feel that our office environmental champion could have asked us cyclists to help do some stuff.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    As the companies sole cycle commuter I will likely be celebrating cycle week with an extra donut on Friday or something...
  • WolfUK
    WolfUK Posts: 24
    Well after getting a Bike2Work policy instituted in my company a couple of months ago (without any trouble really, the management all thought it was a great idea) I'm celebrating this week because my Dawes Super Galaxy finally arrived after being on order for almost two months! Perfect timing for National Bike Week however. [:D]

Simon Wolf
    Simon Wolf
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My employer have properly announced that they're introducing a cycle to work scheme in the next few weeks. I knew about this already (found out 3 weeks after I bought my new bike!)

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/insite/newsan ... rts_cycle/

Nothing else that I'm aware of.
  • goo_mason
    goo_mason Posts: 148
    Edinburgh Park is hosting a bike breakfast tomorrow:

(from the Evening news)
    <i>CYCLISTS in Edinburgh are preparing to challenge an Olympic gold medallist as part of the UK's National Bike Week.

The challenge is being held at Edinburgh Park with Capital-born cyclist Chris Hoy, who will be setting a time on a static bike for the challengers to try to beat.

The 'bike breakfast' will be held outside The Ritz Bar and Grill from 8am to 9am tomorrow.

The event coincides with the release of a new biography of the four-time world cycling champion.

The West Edinburgh business park is a strong supporter of sustainable transport, with cycle paths and showers for workers who come to work by bike.</i>

Pity I get to work at 6.45am - I'm not clocking back out later just to nip over for a wee bit of free breakfast... [:(!]

Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
    Cheers !

Grant
    Three From Leith podcast
    www.threefromleith.com
  • marmitecp
    marmitecp Posts: 203
    My company announced launch of cycle to work scheme at the end of the month. No word on the scheme partner yet though.
    In a kind of related policy change they announced company car choice will be limited to those putting out less than 200g/km. Applies to all grades too - yay!
  • Our place - a Government Office in London - has a table with leaflets, maps, etc in reception and a free breakfast tomorrow morning for all who cycle in.

As luck would have it, tomorrow is the one day this week I'm not in the office! :-(
  • RichardD
    RichardD Posts: 172
    My company is providing breakfasts all this week, and running a week's mileage competition. As is often the case, an enthusiastic volunteer is making these things happen.
    Results:
    Monday was wet and therefore normal.
    Today there are twice as many bikes as normal in the car-park.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Our company aren't doing a thing sadly.

I am the sole commuter.
    FCN 10
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardD</i>

As is often the case, an enthusiastic volunteer is making these things happen.
    This is the key; we can't just sit back an expect non-bike minded comapnies to suddenly get interested, instead, we, the cycling converts need to take Bike Week as an opportunity to encourage both employers and colleagues - be pro-active, not just surprised / upset when nothing happens.

Hopefully, at some stage, cycling and cycle commuting will reach a critical mass when it becomes accepted a sa norm, and it will be much easier to get the facilities we need....

well, I can dream [;)]
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    That's funny about all these companies suddenly announcing they are introducing bike to work schemes. Mine has just vaguely announced that they are introducing a 'bicycle scheme' with more information to follow, and I was surprised we are quite small and I wouldn't have thought they'd have wanted the extra 'hassle' (I know it's not that much hassle but you know what people are like).

Someone in the union has already pointed out that if they are going to encourage more cycling they had better sort out the bike parking situation (I had to battle a bit to get a key to the garage and there isn't a whole lot of space as it is).

Not doing anything for Bike week though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg
  • companies can make money out of the bike2work schemes (they save NI contributions, and if they are really bad they can pocket the VAT rather than pass the saving on), so their motives may not be completely altruistic, but as long as they do it, fair enough.