Speaking ill of the dead.

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Maggot</i>

Over the last few weeks we have had several comments/threads about people who are either recently dead, or elderly and frail (Manning, Thatcher, Pinochet, Blair, The Queen et al). etc
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree, although think it is strange that you should make this point given that a couple of weeks ago you were blaming the dead at Hillsborough for their own demise. They ALSO have living relatives who probably find that distasteful (as well as ill informed and contrary to the findings of the various public enquiries).
    It also seems at odd to the quote below that was posted by you on page 7 of the Scouser Misbehaviour thread:

quote:

What bollocks. The events were tragic and avoidable. But to say that no-one should be allowed to knock, make fun or say ANYTHING about what happened just about proves the Scouser "victim mentality". You can't honestly tell me that there have been no jokes going about Liverpool about other tragic events can you? Hippocritical, sentimental ****e. People died, some other people were to blame no doubt, but because they were mostly from Liverpool no-one can talk about anything concerning it in case someone gets up-set. Get a grip!

Or perhaps you think it is acceptable to make fun of the dead if they are from Liverpool, but not otherwise?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Humour is a way of coping.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • In his book, "Things can only get better," John O'Farrell wrote about being a Labour supporter during the Thatcher years. He says one of the touchstone issues that divided the extreme left from the mainstream left was the issue of shooting the Royal Family. Apparently, much discussion on the left is over who you'll shoot when you get into power, and although there was general agreement over shooting the other Royals, only the hard left demanded that the Queen Mother be shot.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

In his book, "Things can only get better," John O'Farrell wrote about being a Labour supporter during the Thatcher years. He says one of the touchstone issues that divided the extreme left from the mainstream left was the issue of shooting the Royal Family. Apparently, much discussion on the left is over who you'll shoot when you get into power, and although there was general agreement over shooting the other Royals, only the hard left demanded that the Queen Mother be shot.

Whereas the far right are deciding which minorities they will be shooting...
  • Chris James
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

In his book, "Things can only get better," Apparently, much discussion on the left is over who you'll shoot when you get into power, and although there was general agreement over shooting the other Royals, only the hard left demanded that the Queen Mother be shot.

I think you forgot to insert the word 'humorous' between the second and third words.

I don't think shooting people you don't like is a lefty thing in particular. That would make Mrs Thatcher's pal, General Pinochet, some sort of communist[:D]
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    i don't recall anything other than rejoicing from the right when Sadam was swinging out.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>

In his book, "Things can only get better," Apparently, much discussion on the left is over who you'll shoot when you get into power, and although there was general agreement over shooting the other Royals, only the hard left demanded that the Queen Mother be shot.

I think you forgot to insert the word 'humorous' between the second and third words.

No, it was deliberate. John O'Farrell's joke was written deadpan, so I thought I'd repeat it in the same way. I am of course assuming that it was a joke. [:0]
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

i don't recall anything other than rejoicing from the right when Sadam was swinging out.

As I already posted, I think a degree of satisfaction at the death of a murderous dictator is understandable on the part of the bereaved. I was glad he got justice but it would never occur to me to actually rejoice about his death, after all he was a human being who went very wrong and did some terrible things.

OTH when people talk about having parties when Thatcher dies (and I've no doubt a few people will) there is something tasteless about celebrating in such a way the death of a democratically elected politician. It would make more sense to have a go at the people who voted for her sufficiently to get her elected three times or those opposed to her who in the eyes of the electorate made a crap job of opposing her.

I detest Scargill as I always saw a wannabe Hitler in him. I could imagine discretely raising a glass on the occasion of his demise but I couldn't imagine taking joy in it or saying things to that effect in public as it might hurt the feelings of those who rated him. Attacking him for his actions is of course another matter and there should be little difference in how that is done both before and after his death.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Patrick - if I'm going to reply to you, you should at least try to address the substance of my argument, rather than leaving out the difficult bits.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

FM is definitely having his monthlies today![;)]

Sigh. It's like kids tittering at the back of the class sometimes...[|)]

And BTW, 'woosh' / 'whoosh' is not a real word, it's a sound effect, so you can spell it exactly how you like... in this case, perhaps it should be more like 'woooooOOOOSSSSHHHH', as it's clearly a lot faster and higher from where you're standing... [;)]

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Brilliant post Chris James.
  • Some clarification, ankev you are correct, I was being ironic in response to Redcogs reply.

Chris, I was not, as far as I recall, saying that hopefully the new Liverpool stand will fall over and bury all the car-thieving Scousers who are stupid enough to follow football was I? Also I certainly did not blame the victims for their own deaths, do you think I believe Hillsborough to be an enormous and elaborate suicide plot? I was saying, and still believe that, nothing is out of bounds as far as humour is concerned. I see the use of <i>humour</i> as the key, there. I would not have started a thread entitled "No jokes about any subject that someone might find offensive", this thread is about actually wishing people dead or rejoicing in their death, which is completely different from rejoicing in someones life. I see no contradiction in saying nothing is out of bounds for comedy, but also saying lets not wish people to die. Have I explained that clearly? (That is not meant to be aggressive before you pick me up on it, it's a question)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Patrick - if I'm going to reply to you, you should at least try to address the substance of my argument, rather than leaving out the difficult bits.

FM is definitely having his monthlies today![;)]

Sigh. It's like kids tittering at the back of the class sometimes...[|)]

Now, why do I suddenly picture FM as a very earnest school teacher? [;)]
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077

And BTW, 'woosh' / 'whoosh' is not a real word, it's a sound effect, so you can spell it exactly how you like...

Tut, tut. WRONG!

It is onomatopoeic AND a real word.

I thought you were an academic?[;)]
  • Flying_Monkey
    You are correct. I'm clearly not an English Language teacher...

But pedantry aside, you still seem to be avoiding the main issue.

That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Brilliant post Chris James.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Got <i>another</i> identity?

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
  • Chris James
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Maggot</i>

Have I explained that clearly? (That is not meant to be aggressive before you pick me up on it, it's a question)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/

So it is okay to laugh at Mrs Thatcher's death but not to say that you will have a party?

Your quote above actually says that, in your opinion, it is okay to 'say ANYTHING' so doesn't limit comment to just humorous stuff.

You may not actively be wishing people's death but your quote:

'Imagine the scouse outcry if more of them had been crushed to death! They do seem to bring it on themselves, knobs.' from Are Scousers Stupid page 1, does sound like you wouldn't have been upset if death had occurred.

As far as the original point is concerned, I find it strange that people could be really full of hate for people they probably have never met to actually want them dead. I am no fan of Mrs Thatcher, and am very glad that she is no longer PM. I have no wish for her life to be shortened, equally however, I will not shed any tears at her demise.
  • spire

1. You are correct. I'm clearly not an English Language teacher...

But pedantry aside,

2. you still seem to be avoiding the main issue.

1. It's sad that academics now consider it pedantic to correct faulty English! [;)] Your students must have an easy ride.

2. The main issue is whether 'dancing on a grave' is distasteful. It is a simple matter you are trying to complicate, and I answered it on page 1:

Over the last few weeks we have had several comments/threads about people who are either recently dead, or elderly and frail (Manning, Thatcher, Pinochet, Blair, The Queen et al).

Does anyone else find this theme disturbing? I can see why people are angry about the decisions these people took while alive, but to propose parties and dancing on peoples graves, well, it's distateful isn't it?

com/photos/26011722@N00/

Agree completely.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

It's just a way that a few people who consider themselves to be caring, kind, moral and ethical individuals have of demonstrating to the rest of us just how caring, kind, moral and ethical they are. All very immature, but there's no real malice, just a desire to show off.

Very insightful and well put.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono">
  • Flying_Monkey
    2. The main issue is whether 'dancing on a grave' is distasteful. It is a simple matter you are trying to complicate, and I answered it on page 1:

No you didn't. In fact, apart from saying you agreed completely with the OP, and also with the usual cynical and vacuous squib posted by simoncp, you didn't address the issues which <i>are</i> complex, in my post at all. Since you are now engaging with me, please do me the favour of actually reading the initial post I made and addressing those issues... you still haven't shown any sign of actually making the effort yet. It might require a little more effort that just saying 'I agree' or 'I disagree', but I'm sure you're capable.

That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    So it is okay to laugh at Mrs Thatcher's death but not to say that you will have a party?

What it's really about it is the difference between black humour and ostentatiously rejoicing at someone's death.
  • spire
    FM

In all seriousness, there's very little I disagree with in your OP, which makes a fair assessment of the situation. However, your analysis is non-judgemental - it explains why people act the way they do, rather than saying whether this behaviour is acceptable or not.

The original OP by Maggot was a fairly straightforward question, which I answered.

Lastly, I think you are very harsh on simoncp. Like you, I disagree with much he has to say, but he does have an insightful wit that you seem to miss.
  • Joe Sacco

FM

In all seriousness, there's very little I disagree with in your OP, which makes a fair assessment of the situation. However, your analysis is non-judgemental - it explains why people act the way they do, rather than saying whether this behaviour is acceptable or not.

The original OP by Maggot was a fairly straightforward question, which I answered.

Lastly, I think you are very harsh on simoncp. Like you, I disagree with much he has to say, but he does have an insightful wit that you seem to miss.

He is not the only one to miss that insightful wit. Although I do skim over his posts as they are always just a mix of negativity, bitterness and cynicism. Characteristics I choose to avoid.
  • redcogs
    i wonder, who amongst the fine and upstanding principled members of the right wing defenders of all that is patriotic and decent would own up to thinking it might have been a progressive and/or appropriate thing to have assassinated Stalin immediately after the fall of Berlin, or PolPot in about 1975, or Chairman Mao before the long march?

Any takers?

• Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    I agree with joe [:0] Simoncp is champion witless, humourless poster in cycling+
    But he does amuse me considerably, arf arf [:)]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

i wonder, who amongst the fine and upstanding principled members of the right wing defenders of all that is patriotic and decent would own up to thinking it might have been a progressive and/or appropriate thing to have assassinated Stalin immediately after the fall of Berlin, or PolPot in about 1975, or Chairman Mao before the long march?

Any takers?

I would say hunting to eat vs hunting for pleasure is analogous to assassinating for greater good vs dancing on graves.
  • redcogs
    It is acceptable to kill an individual, but unacceptable to dance on their grave?

Wherein the morality?

• redcogs
    According to your argument spire, it could have been appropriate to bump Thatch off prior to the unremitting damage she did throughout her period of office.

We may have found, at last, some measure of agreement.

• Joe Sacco

According to your argument spire, it could have been appropriate to bump Thatch off prior to the unremitting damage she did throughout her period of office.

We may have found, at last, some measure of agreement.

Have you managed to build a time machine then? Are you going to go back through history and kill anyone whose actions you disagreed with? Sounds a bit dangerous!
  • redcogs
    Simply applying the spire logic. Not necessarilly a bad idea though.

;-)

• redcogs
    Not saying i'm paranoid, but when the site went down, i was waiting for a knock at the door from Maggot n the rest of the moral high ground acrobats waving pickaxe handles..

• Joe Sacco

Not saying i'm paranoid, but when the site went down, i was waiting for a knock at the door from Maggot n the rest of the moral high ground acrobats waving pickaxe handles..

you need to lay off the pot I reckon.