Online Service

cooper.michael1
cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I dont really know if i expect too much now-a-days, whenever i use chainreaction i can order things and if the show on screen as being in stock i know they will 99% of the time turn up next day and this is with post free of charge and coming from Northern Ireland.

In the last month ive used 4 online bike shops, one ive ordered something and they sent and email saying, we will try to dispatch within 3-4 days, but cant guarantee and its been 7days and ive still not got it. The other took 7 days to deliver and the third has website troubles, charged my credit card but never received my order.

I try and shop around and use a variety of shop, but chainreaction is simply the best. Wiggle and dotbike has also given me good service over the years.

But do i expect too much? i now expect things to be sent next day and not receive them over a week later.

Coops

Comments

• pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Your expectations are reasonable, but if you want something the good guys haven't got, you have to put up with relatively sh*t service from somone else. It's the way it's always been, and I suppose the way it's always going to be.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Yes, similar experience and expectations having used CRC and Wiggle extensively - few others are this good, but some (most recently Cyclexpress!) even show items as in stock, let you order, then tell you a day later that there is no stock! Infuriating!!! When I confronted them they said they had them on the shop shelf (they must have a real shop as well as web store), but they had in fact been sold.
  • Many LBS offer an web site mail order service to compliment their shop, many don't pretend to be able to match the stock holding or mail order efficiency of some the mail order giants, not to mention pricing, infact they naturally struggle to compete in much the same way that local greengrocers struggle against the efficiency of Supermarkets.

To read an email like this from someone as influential as <i>~Pete</i> is indeed a shame as it does read as quite a sweeping statement, many may not offer the same kind of service but that does not mean they deserve such a negative description.

Of course all should act correctly, I do read of some practices that are indeed unaceptable. No item should be charged for until it is actually sent, should an item be out of stock the customer should be notified together with the expected delivery date, some may for example suggest an alternative or FOC upgrade if appropriate. Refunds should also be processed quickly.

Most that I know of I am pleased to say do operate correctly, I hope that it is only a few that don't. A LBS also offering mail order can offer a different kind of service to the larger companies, most deserve their loyal and often regular repeat custom just as the larger companies deserve theirs.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

Your expectations are reasonable, but if you want something the good guys haven't got, you have to put up with relatively sh*t service from somone else. It's the way it's always been, and I suppose the way it's always going to be.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Got my Carradice rack pack complete with advice on what to purchase, from Bikeplus - I think it arrived in less than 24 hours. Certainly at least "next day". Quick service.
  • I was really disappointed with my service from bikeplus.
    phoned Paul, he chatted to me, answered loads of questions. took my money, sent products that day and they arrived the next.
    Far too efficient. What can i moan about if i get service like that!

I think its important to remember that certain companies are 'mail order companies' and others are 'bike shops.'
    The service i expect from a mail order company is different from what i expect off a 'bike shop'.
    Its when folk get confused about these differences is when most of the problems start.

I do like people 'blaming' problems on the company when it was caused by a shonky delivery company, and had nothing to do with the company.

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    I did say RELATIVELY sh*t. I mean <i>comparitively poor</i> - compared to the very best. I apologise if it came accross as implying I think most of the rest are sh*t per se. That I don't mean.

I've used many online dealers for many cycle components and accessories over the last six or so years. From most, most times, I have had decent service - except it is quite common for items advertised as being in stock not to actually be in stock, and for them to take a few days before despatching.

I do think it's reasonable these days for online dealers to clearly warn that items might not be in stock and that despatch may take longer than 48 hours - when that <u>might</u> be the case. Not just in the small print but clearly on the main pages.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

I do think it's reasonable these days for online dealers to clearly warn that items might not be in stock and that despatch may take longer than 48 hours - when that <u>might</u> be the case. Not just in the small print but clearly on the main pages.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree with you 100%, regardless of the size or nature of the business - if you can't stasnd the heat, get out of the online kitchen
  • Pullman1937
    Pullman1937 Posts: 101
    Interesting point about post free from Northern Ireland. Doesn't work in reverse. Generally charged a premium by a lot of traders for being 'offshore' as are the Scottish islands. This loading is now being applied by some traders despite items being sent by Royal Mail. It is a rip off and a further excuse for sh**e service. I waited for nearly 2 months for a courier to deliver items from mainland UK for which I had been charged for 'guarenteed 48 hour delivery'. Thank god for the credit card as the items were rejected and a full refund obtained.

I don't believe you have to accept bad service. I won't use companies that load delivery charges or offer sh**e service. I have the choice where I spend my hard earned money and I exercise that choice.
  • I believe that many of customers who use a LBS mail order service think along the same lines as Steve.

For the customer who knows exactly what they want then the larger outlets of course take some beating, the results speak for themselves, the select few indeed have a turnover of several million pounds. However there are some customers who still prefer a LBS, the very fact that a LBS will have a smaller range does often work to their advantage, as a quality LBS will cherry pick what they believe to be the best product within a certain range type, a quality LBS should have the foresight to see past the short term higher profit margin of some products and chose a better value product even if the profit margin is not as good.

The result is that the customer may chose a product as that particular retailer has recommended it, saving them the time of doing all the research for each product themselves, where as the larger companies stock most lines from most manufacturers, many of which can be very similar, this can be quite confusing, not everyone has the enthusiasm to visit forums such as this by way of fact finding after all. New customers may become regular customers if the advice given has been good and the item bought at a competitive price, advice often given by telephone, many like the fact that they can often speak to the same member of staff who may have been helpful in the past, they are often using the LBS for a similar service to the one they would provide if they were actually visiting and not just as a covenient, yet efficient way to obtain goods.

These days a web site is almost an expected addition for any retailer, as such a LBS will often use their web site and even their magazine advertisements as a way of promoting their real shop, as much as it is about promoting their virtual 'mail order' one. In conclusion we all serve customers, all be it often slightly different ones for slightly different reasons and long may it continue for us all, retailers and customers alike.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>
    <font size="2">I think its important to remember that certain companies are 'mail order companies' and others are 'bike shops.'The service I expect from a mail order company is different from what i expect off a 'bike shop'.Its when folk get confused about these differences is when most of the problems start.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica