Upgrade MTB or buy new bike? Hmmm...

electricdave
electricdave Posts: 37
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi ppl

I'm well aware that all this might make people throw their hands up in horror, but I have a dilemma I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
For six years now I've been commuting about 3 miles each way on my well-loved DiamondBack full sus mtb, but the stock Shimano Acera componentry is now showing its age, and is a bit worn. It's on semi-slick 26 x 1.75 tyres, which I keep pumped up hard, but it's quite a hefty bike, and I'm feeling the urge to ride in on something a little faster.
Also, as we're thinking of moving out somewhere a bit greener to raise our baby girl, I may soon be extending my commute distance to somewhere around 6 miles each way.
So here's my conundrum; do I

a) Upgrade the DB with new componentry, say frinstance a 105/Ultegra groupset, a 52 triple chainring (instead of the current 42), a 9-speed cassette (to replace the current 8-spd), a lighter wheelset and skinnier tyres.

b) Put the DB out to pasture and buy a Specialized Sirrus? (Which I also really like the look of btw). [:P]

I must admit, I do like the idea of creating a fast, comfortable Frankenbike that perfectly suits my needs, (the DB will probably never experience mud or grass) but I have no idea if what I'm thinking of can actually be done. My concerns are that the skinny tyres will make it too top heavy, and the bigger chainring may not be possible - can you even fit road components to mtbs? I'd also have to get a shop to fit it all for me, as I'm not very spannery when it comes to bikes, so I'd have that cost to bear in mind as well.

I do love my old bike - it's so comfortable, and the suspension is great for the drop kerbs I have to negotiate on my commute, but can I make it significantly quicker for less than the price of a new Sirrus? If so, how?
If I get the Sirrus, will continued riding it over drop kerbs mean that our Emma ends up as an only child? [:0]

Thanks for any imparted wisdom, sorry to waffle on so [:)]

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Get a new fast bike (road bike or light hybrid like the Sirrus) and train yourself NOT to drop off kerbs. And it's the bike's bits I'm worried about, not yours.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by electricdave</i>

Hi ppl

I'm well aware that all this might make people throw their hands up in horror, but I have a dilemma I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
    For six years now I've been commuting about 3 miles each way on my well-loved DiamondBack full sus mtb, but the stock Shimano Acera componentry is now showing its age, and is a bit worn. It's on semi-slick 26 x 1.75 tyres, which I keep pumped up hard, but it's quite a hefty bike, and I'm feeling the urge to ride in on something a little faster.
    Also, as we're thinking of moving out somewhere a bit greener to raise our baby girl, I may soon be extending my commute distance to somewhere around 6 miles each way.
    So here's my conundrum; do I

a) Upgrade the DB with new componentry, say frinstance a 105/Ultegra groupset, a 52 triple chainring (instead of the current 42), a 9-speed cassette (to replace the current 8-spd), a lighter wheelset and skinnier tyres.

b) Put the DB out to pasture and buy a Specialized Sirrus? (Which I also really like the look of btw). [:P]

I must admit, I do like the idea of creating a fast, comfortable Frankenbike that perfectly suits my needs, (the DB will probably never experience mud or grass) but I have no idea if what I'm thinking of can actually be done. My concerns are that the skinny tyres will make it too top heavy, and the bigger chainring may not be possible - can you even fit road components to mtbs? I'd also have to get a shop to fit it all for me, as I'm not very spannery when it comes to bikes, so I'd have that cost to bear in mind as well.

I do love my old bike - it's so comfortable, and the suspension is great for the drop kerbs I have to negotiate on my commute, but can I make it significantly quicker for less than the price of a new Sirrus? If so, how?
    If I get the Sirrus, will continued riding it over drop kerbs mean that our Emma ends up as an only child? [:0]

Thanks for any imparted wisdom, sorry to waffle on so [:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For the cost of your proposed 'upgrade', you could buy a new bike.

You also need to recognise that riding over kerbs is not compulsory - what's wrong with riding on the road? You don't encounter many kerbs on the highway....

Getting to grips with riding on the road releases the surplus money used for suspension onto higher specced rigid bike. Have a look at somthing like the Evans web site to see what's available and buy elsewhere for cheaper prices.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    Agree with the others - buy a new bike. you won't regret it

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Buy a new bike and use the DB at weekends for fun

I was going to change my MTB for another, changed my mind and am getting a road bike Spez Allez, I think.

You won't regret having 'best of Both'[:D]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Even IF you were simply upgrading with mtb-compatable stuff, it would not be good vfm. Once you start trying to mix in road components, becomes tricky and - if you are paying for the spannering! - even more expensive.

Buying separate components is really a mugs game. E.G. a basic XT drive/shift train for my old DynaTech would set me back well over 300 quid. A complete new XT kitted bike (with wheels, discs, decent sus forks) can be had for 725!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • buy a new bike, i'm sure the bairn could go without nappies and milk for a while lol

please let me know what you think of this:-
    http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z63/ ... C00172.jpg

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • Yay! Sirrus it is then! [:D]
    Thanks for the responses (TBH I was kinda hoping that would be the concensus).
    I already have the Evans catalogue in the bog magazine rack!
    I'd still like to upgrade the gearing on the DB somehow though, as it is pretty worn - a project for another day I guess!

I do feel the need to elaborate on one point, however;

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

You also need to recognise that riding over kerbs is not compulsory

I don't ever ride over normal kerbs. However, riding down this particular DROP kerb IS compulsory, as it bisects the exit of the only cycle-designated route through Eel Brook Common. You have to cross a pavement at 90§ to get back onto the road, and although it's obviously better to take the drop kerb than the normal kerb, it's still a heck of a dip when it rejoins the road. That's where the suspension pays off, and I'm just wondering how a Sirrus would handle it!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

What's wrong with riding on the road?

Nothing at all. I do ride on the road, I'm not some flaky pavement cyclist as your post seems to imply. It's just that Hammermith & Fulham council have made it necessary to cross a 6-foot stretch of pavement in order to exit the park. And I'm not about to dismount, walk 6 feet and remount, as I'm sure none of you guys would. I just always check there's nobody there as I approach, which as it's a leafy Fulham backstreet, there hardly ever is. If there does happen to be a ped there, I give way to them.

You don't encounter many kerbs on the highway....

Not on your commute maybe! [:)]