metal polish for titanium

gralegav
gralegav Posts: 94
edited June 2007 in Road general
Hello,

can anyone recommend a good polish that works well on a 'raw' Ti frame? it would be good if also worked on the bits of steel and alloy on the bike, too!

Or should I just use good old beeswax?

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Autoglym metal polish
  • gralegav
    cheers Monty
  • Depends what you're trying to do? I use WD40 on my Ti frame, which is bare metal. It gives it a nice but dull finish.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    hmmm Tchibo do a stainless steel polish thats good round the kitchen - may have to test it on the wifes MTB !
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    sorry to hijack your thread, but on this subject, does anyone know the bets way to get a painted ti frame back to bare metal? will sandblasting it work?
  • gralegav
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

Depends what you're trying to do? I use WD40 on my Ti frame, which is bare metal. It gives it a nice but dull finish.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Andy,

just really want to stop it getting covered in fingermarks all the time!

too much cleaning and not enough riding...
  • I just wipe is down after washing it. Kept its finish fine even after all these years

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 16simon</i>

sorry to hijack your thread, but on this subject, does anyone know the bets way to get a painted ti frame back to bare metal? will sandblasting it work?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nitromors would do it.

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gralegav</i>

Andy,

just really want to stop it getting covered in fingermarks all the time!

too much cleaning and not enough riding...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'd recommend WD40 for that then. It gives the tubes a dull sheen that resists finger print marks.
  • Or lemon juice. Honest.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If you want to get a painted frame ti back to bare metal, messy way is with paint-stripper. Quick way is to take it to someone who does bead blasting of alloy car wheels - not as erosive as sand-blasting. Ti polishes up really nice as well if you fancy a few hours with some Scotchbrite and metal polish - one of my ti frames is polished and it looks very different to a non-polished finish. If it's not clear-coated, it does tend to show up the fingerprints though.
  • wayne182
    wayne182 Posts: 30
    baby oil - no, really!

doesn't dull the finish and helps keep fingermrks, waterstains etc at bay - doesn't need much just a bit on the cloth, and yes it does seem a bit wrong...

[this works on nice steel fridges as well]
  • Sand blasting would be fine on a Ti or steel frame, it's only ally (or obviously carbon) that you should not sandblast.

Polishing Ti is a laborious task; look at ally or steel under a microscope and it's (relatively) like the Bonneville salt flats wheras Ti is like the Pyrenees.

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X