Dragon Ride then British Cyclosportive - who else?

Two big weekends coming up - I was wondering what others will do as recovery / preparation from one to the other?

I tend to recover pretty quickly from big rides, although I have not done two like this back to back. I am thinking plenty of sleep between the 2 events, no crap food and drink lots of water all week (something I rarely do actually....). I am also planning to do a couple of easy hour rides on the Monday and Wednesday?

I would be interested to hear what others in the same boat are thinking of doing?

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    Doing both myself.

Tips I've been given are...

- ice bath immediately after the events
    - ditto elevation of legs
    - use a recovery drink as soon as you've finished (I use Surge by Biotest)
    - take a gentle spin on Monday to get the legs ticking over and get fresh oxygenated blood to the muscles
    - stay really hydrated all week
    - will do a 3hour effort on wednesday and then a 1 hour effort on saturday before the etape
    - mentally, if you do the dragon ride the UK etape will be a cake-walk in comparison

Best of luck. You'll pass me on the hills blowing like a choo choo train.
  • samwellcp
    samwellcp Posts: 22
    yeah i'm doing both rides - can only really echo the above especially the recovery ride/s which are crucial in my experience

and there should be plenty of packs to hide in on the british cyclosportive if you start hurting!!! really looking forward to this weekend although the weather looks like it might be a little on the wet side - rode the shorther route a few months ago in the wind and rain so hopefully it doesn't get much worse than that....
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Yep.

Bit worried actually, as I've still got a sore hamstring from the WRC (8 days ago). Going to sort some physio/massage in the next couple of days and just keep gently spinning (oh for the time to fit in a 3 hour mid week ride...).

TBH, I have the EdT coming up 2 weeks after the British Cyclo, so I could do without ruining myself on either of them.

Tom
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    DR then the Marmotte for moi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • Ice bath - blimey, I think i'll just ride slowly!!!

Thanks for the replies - some useful info.

I have never bothered with recovery drinks before but I have read plenty of good things about their use. I use SIS drinks whilst on the bike so I may well pick up some Rego.

I have no issues with completing either ride in isolation, but I am looking for decent times (for me) on both events so its the level of effort over consecutive weekends that's new to me.

Vermooten, good luck on the Marmotte

Rich
  • Yup, DR then L2C.
    I did 2/3 of the SDW off road in 8 hours 4 weeks ago, Bristol 12 solo 2 weeks ago, and have just been taking things fairly steady since then.
    The big one is going to be SiTS solo for me this year.

Will be eating a lot of fresh fish on the Wednesday, Thursday, Friday before each event (protein loading).
  • White Rose Classic left me feeling tired, Tour of Cotswolds is not an ideal recovery ride. Dragon next then London - Canterbury followed by nothing, just enjoying the summer.

www.bigfootbikeclub.org