Americans ban quick release wheels!

Comments

• Unkraut
    Unkraut Posts: 1,103
    The 'compulsory wearing of cycle helmets' - now that might be something worth discussing ...
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Not suprising from a country that approved the Patriot Act!

Compulsory non- cycling, as with walking will surely follow.

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    Is there any truth in the claim that quick nick wheeks are less safe?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    So you have the right to bear arms, but not to bear QR skewers?

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They're only dangerous if you forget to do them up properly...and if they're going to come undone its got to be as much to do with the design of the dropouts than it has to do with the QR itself....IMO

on the road Posts: 5,631
    Sounds like they've got too much time on their hands.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    I though the little tabs on the dropouts were there because of American problems with securing the wheels properly. Anyone got any stats on how many loose wheel related injries there are? Can't imagine it would even be worth worrying about, even in the sue happy US
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    WTF?

So where is the evidence for QR being unsafe? I have never known anyone who had an accident because of QR... does anyone on here?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

WTF?

So where is the evidence for QR being unsafe? I have never known anyone who had an accident because of QR... does anyone on here?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Never heard of one. Even if you don't clip them in, the tabs hold them and it is obvious even to the meanest intelligence that the wobble means you haven't tightened it up.
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    heard of a guy messing about on a bike he was testing from a shop pulled a wheelie QR wasnt done up now the guy has false front teeth.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

WTF?

Ahem![:I]

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by currieinahurry</i>

heard of a guy messing about on a bike he was testing from a shop pulled a wheelie QR wasnt done up now the guy has false front teeth.
    tikka

He needs to improve his bike skills. I used to leave the front wheel undone deliberately so I could do a wheelie with no front wheel
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    my 'dropouts', front and rear, seem designed to prevent the wheel accidentally detaching in any event, but, i will freely admit to being a bit challenged by mechanical gizmos.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • If you can't secure a quick-release wheel properly are you really safe to leave the house without supervision ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Sheldon (of course) has an article on QR and "lawyer lips" - which does mention a few potential problems.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_l.html#lawyer

Yeah, I can see it now.... just like that computer "funny" that does the rounds:

Technical bloke: "I suggest you take the cycle right back to the store where you bought it, Sir".

Customer: "And tell them it's faulty?"

TB: "No, tell them you're too feckin' thick to own a bicycle!"

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • hairytoes
    hairytoes Posts: 645
    Absolute lunacy.

One huge advantage that a QR wheel has is security; you can tell at a glance if the wheel is done up. If the QR is so out of adjustment that the wheel will drop out, the QR lever won't stay closed.

So I think they are safer than wheelnuts.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
  • maybrick
    maybrick Posts: 339
    what ever happened to james annan and his theory, was anything decisive concluded?

i'm not bound by your earthling rules.

i\'m not bound by your earthling rules.
  • Anonymous
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

WTF?

A few years ago a bloke called Russ Pinder - well known on the mtb trailquest scene - was riding at speed down The Gap descent in the brecon beacons. His front wheel and forks parted company, he went over the bars, broke his back and was paralysed from the chest down.

Cue lots of fundraising for the Air Ambulance service from mtb'ers and for Russ...and various allegations and debate about drop outs, lawyer tabs, QRs etc etc. Not sure if there is legal action in his case but there was certainly a debate surrounding his accident.

I can't see how QR wheels are any less safe than bolted wheels. Provided they're not overtightened, and provided the materials used are sufficiently strong enough, theres no question over their safety.

Next they'll be banning chains. FWIW I've been caught out by chains more than once. Never by QR though.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    MTB magazines, 15 years ago when I used to readd them, warned of a branch or similar catching the Q/R and opening it, the wheel would drop out.

So you were supposed to do-up the Q/R so it went up&down the fork rather than horizontally backwards, impossible for a branch, etc to catch.

A lot of roadies do seem to fit their Q/R's so they are horizontally backwards, as that's more aerodynamic I guess, but I think you'd have to catch your Q/R pretty hard on a branch for it to open it, so hard that you'd kinda notice it happening...

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    You'd have to be going some for it to make a difference aerodynamically!

• I've never wanted to live in Nu Joisey anyway.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Question- will the police notice if you haven't got quick release?

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    There is a lot of confusion here....

The actual document was published on a US website http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills ... 686_R1.PDF

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It shall be an unlawful practice for any person to sell a bicycle with a wheel diameter of 20 inches or less, which is equipped with a quick release wheel.

For the purposes of this act "quick release wheel" means a wheel which does not require the use of any tools to be
    removed from the bicycle.
    A wheel which:
    is equipped with, or has been retrofitted with, a mechanism designed to hold the wheel in place in an emergency, including but
    not limited to a retainer clip; requires significant level of dexterity to remove, so as to reasonably prevent removal by a child, shall not be construed to be a "quick release wheel" for the purposes of this act pending before the Legislature as this bill.

SO in fact it is more about children's safety.

It would appear that a "Pitlock" or similar would be exempt, as would all wheels above the nominal 20".

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

SO in fact it is more about children's safety.

It would appear that a "Pitlock" or similar would be exempt, as would all wheels above the nominal 20".

Or BMXers safety, mind you any BMXer who tried to use a hollow axle and QR would probably be a Darwin Award candidate anyway!

Thinking about it though, my trailer has a 14" wheel with QR, I guess as a trailer it'd probably be exempt though.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kirstie</i>

WTF?

A few years ago a bloke called Russ Pinder - well known on the mtb trailquest scene - was riding at speed down The Gap descent in the brecon beacons. His front wheel and forks parted company, he went over the bars, broke his back and was paralysed from the chest down.

Cue lots of fundraising for the Air Ambulance service from mtb'ers and for Russ...and various allegations and debate about drop outs, lawyer tabs, QRs etc etc. Not sure if there is legal action in his case but there was certainly a debate surrounding his accident.

I seem to remember disc brakes being particularly controversial in Russ's case too, something about the forces involved pulling the front wheel out of the forks even though the QR was done up (albeit maybe not tightly enough).

I had a friend who demonstrated it by turning his bike over, spinning the front wheel with the QR loose, and then applying the (disc) brake. The wheel was catapulted out of the fork. Scary stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Really? I didn't know about that bit. Wasn't he running pace forks? I know there was an issue with disc rotor size with SIDS - if you run more than a 165mm they judder like hell, but not with paces?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by papercorn2000</i>

You'd have to be going some for it to make a difference aerodynamically!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Err, yeah, wouldn't you just.

But there was a thread on here not that long ago talking about how Mavic made their Q/R's in aerofoil section and how good that was, then a number of people saying it was unnecessary, you just folded the Q/R in line with the airflow...

Worrying.

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?