Beginner bikes

ash4781
ash4781 Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

First post here.

I've been going through the bike shop websites and the level of jargon is just mind blowing. I'm looking for a 'decent' hybrid for commuting but I'm struggling to compare models between manufacturers. Budget around 400.

Do manufacturers build the frame, handlebars,etc and then add branded brakes, hubs, suspensions, wheels, etc ?

Also does anyone have any experience of these government schemes that are meant to increase bike uptake ?

Many thanks,

Ashley

Comments

• Dscotland
    Dscotland Posts: 34
    i`ll be cheeky and ask if anyone knows if you can take advantage of the cycle to work , if you are self employed

dlamb
    dlamb
  • seventy2
    seventy2 Posts: 10
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to the 'Employees' section of http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk it says in bold "...Please note that the self-employed cannot take part in the scheme".
  • Regarding manufacturing and assembling of bikes, this what I have picked up, mainly from C+ magazine.

Most frames are built in Taiwan and China and I guess most of the components are made there also. Some factories manufacture frames for more than one bike company or brand. I guess most of the cheaper bikes are also assembled in China/Taiwan but the more expensive ones may be assembled in the country where they are sold or elsewhere in Europe for example. You can also buy more expensive frames (and other components) separately here but it will cost you a lot more than buying a complete bike. There are still a few frame builders in the UK and they will make a frame to your exact spec, at a price [;)].

As for choices of bikes, similar questions keep coming up so I suggest 1. Search back through beginners section or 2. Go to Halfords to get an idea what is available. Suggestion 2 will not be popular with some forumites!
  • I have a Scott Sub 20, they are œ400 and a very nice looking bike with good spec, highly recommended.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    For that price you're above the Hawk cycles kind of rubbish, so most of what you see will be good. So it comes down to the following factors-

What bike do you like the look of?

Which brand does your local, friendly LBS stock?

Which bike do you feel most comfortable with? This is probaly the crunch question, as you'll find that they all feel pretty different. And which is why you need to get out and have a decent ride on each of those which you are considering.

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dscotland</i>

i`ll be cheeky and ask if anyone knows if you can take advantage of the cycle to work , if you are self employed
    dlamb
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My take on this is that the "scheme" is just a few bits of legislation tied up together in to a bundle, which some cycle retailers have tried to sell as a tied in package to an employer.

For me (small Ltd company) I picked those bits which I found relevant. My company bought a bike, I use it, they capitalise the costs, claim back the VAT, and I don't pay any extra tax (Finance Act 1999). I ignored the lease and salary sacrafice bit as it's irrelevant to me!

If you are likely to be doing a number of business cycle miles, would be worth asking the question of your accountant. The savings will be different for you as the NI rates are different, but IF a bike purchase is an allowable expense, it may save you more than a "Cycle To Work" scheme.

YMMV - Rufus.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by seventy2</i>

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to the 'Employees' section of http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk it says in bold "...Please note that the self-employed cannot take part in the scheme".

Surely that is discriminatory? The Govt. must be assuming that a SE person works mainly from their home, which isn't necessarily the case. Got to be worth a challenge, given this Govt's prediliction for inclusivety, bet if you were a migrant worker you'd get a free bike to travel to your job at the restaurant, 'hand car wash' or market garden fruit and veg growing fields! [:p][:D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • ash4781
    Chatting to my brother who has two bikes he suggested that the cheaper mountain bikes have awful shock, and brakes. He said I should look at Bianchi bikes. Not sure about that one (he rides road bikes).

Would it be better to go for a mountain bike rather than go for a hybrid ?
  • I wouldn't get a mtb for commuting if I were you, unless you're planning to do a fair bit of off-roading at weekends.
    I use a mtb at the moment, but find it too heavy and slow for commuting, so as soon as I can I'll be getting a Specialized Sirrus for the trip to work.
    The Sirrus range starts around the œ400 mark, and gets a lot of recommendations from people on here for its speed, comfort, lightness and agility. From your original post it sounds like just what you need!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    400 pounds puts you just within range of the cheaper Touring bikes. They are good Jacks of all Trades. I would go to a shop and test a bunch of bikes within your price range.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Mountain bikes are for designed for off road use, they are inefficient for road use - meaning you work harder than you have to, your bike will be going slower than you could be and your top speed will be very limited by the gearing designed for off road work.

How many miles is your commute and what sort of roads? will you be doing off roading at weekends etc? I currently have a hybrid, but its one with fairly wide tyres (38mm) my commute is 7 miles each way, but all tarmac. Im now wanting a road bike for the taller gearing, and skinnier tyres etc. Hybrids are designed to allow a bit of off roading and be more efficient on the roads than a MTB. Theres many different types of hybrid around though, some are more efficient on the road than my hybrid is. My commute doesnt involve ANY off roading so a hybrid which is more MTB than road bike is kind of wasted.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You may be beter off with a flat bar road bike if you don't go off road.

The only thing you loose is aerodynamics compared to a drop bar bike.

Maybe you couls borrow your brother's bike?

Within a price band the major manufacturers are pretty much the same

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ash4781</i>

Hi,

First post here.

I've been going through the bike shop websites and the level of jargon is just mind blowing. I'm looking for a 'decent' hybrid for commuting but I'm struggling to compare models between manufacturers. Budget around 400.

Do manufacturers build the frame, handlebars,etc and then add branded brakes, hubs, suspensions, wheels, etc ?

Also does anyone have any experience of these government schemes that are meant to increase bike uptake ?

Many thanks,

Ashley

Welcome Ashley

As you suppose, the bike manufacturers are responsible for frame design and branding, choosing the componants for the market and price point to suit the application.
    Many bike frames from different brands are built in the same factories in Taiwan, certainly at the price range we are talking about.
    That does not mean that all bikes are equal.

In terms of componants, the market is dominated by Shimano, with Campagnolo being more road-bike orientated and SRAM covering the budget end, (and now also doing high-end stuff as well). Tektro brakes are also quite common.
    The main running gear is known as a "Groupset" (Shifters, chainset, sprockets, brakes and levers, hubs).
    Shimano start with (lowest to highest) ...Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Sora is 8 speed only, the rest are 9 or 10 speed depending on model year.
    Campagnolo starts with Mirage, Veloce, centaur, Chorus and Record. Campagnolo may be found on a few hybrids/flat-bar road bikes, but is rare.

Wheels can be a blend of hubs and rims, Mavic, Alex, Rigida, Formula, Bontrager and many other abound, several are re-badged to match the frames brand.

In terms of choices, see what your LBS has, it's always good to have the back-up of a good bike shop.
    Major Brands such as <b>Giant, Trek, Specialized,</b> Bianchi, Marin, Dawes, Ridgeback etc. all have good products at the œ400 mark. The Halfrauds Carrera subway is also a good buy for commuting duties. Those highlighted are the biggest brands and probably best value for money.
    The real trick is to know what you need the bike to do, test-ride and get good fitting advice.

Unless you are really taking on the rough stuff, avoid suspension, avoid knobbly tyres.

Keep asking questions.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • ash4781
    There's either three commuting distances; 2 miles to the station, 4 miles to the next station or about 15 miles. I don't particulary like the idea of leaving a bike at the station all day! The roads on the 15 mile route are very busy at rush hour.
  • "The only thing you loose is aerodynamics compared to a drop bar bike."

And even then only for the 5-10% of the time that most folk actually USE the lower bit!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • oakie
    oakie Posts: 2
    Have a look at the Trek FX hybrid range.
    http://www.trekbike.co.uk/2007/bikes.ph ... RangeID=15
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    If leaving a bike at al local station, I'd get any old tatty hack bike, re-grease everything and replace the cables and brake pads. Leave nothing that you can't afford to loose at a station.
    For the 15 miler you'll probably want to be able to fit full mudguards and a rack. Check this is possible, it might-not be the case for flat-bar road-bikes.

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ash4781</i>

There's either three commuting distances; 2 miles to the station, 4 miles to the next station or about 15 miles. I don't particulary like the idea of leaving a bike at the station all day! The roads on the 15 mile route are very busy at rush hour.
    15 miles each way is a fair old commute, especially for a beginner. That combined with rush hour traffic, I think would maybe be too much too soon.

4 Miles each way to the second station looks a good way to start and see how you get on. A cheap hybrid, or even a second-hand one made roadworthy. Either way, not an expensive or trendy bike that is a magnet for thieves if left at a railway station.
  • ash4781
    Just looking through the classifieds. Lots of bikes for free that need fixing!

There's a Marin East peak mountain bike for 475 pounds