And I hope it makes his eyes water too

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited June 2007 in Road general
http://tinyurl.com/3y3oa9 [V]

I am Bidder 3 - I can't even describe how rare this item is and it was a project critical part of the Baines Eccolite. I lost a pair of Bluemels Noweight 'guards to Japan a few weeks back - it could take years to source another suitable pair of those.

The one comfort is that with the exchange rate, insurance and US import duty the succesful bidder is going to pay big time....

arse, borrocks, poo, damn, damn, damn

<hr noshade size="1">
'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
And I'm really built for speed
Built for speed

Comments

• southlaker
    southlaker Posts: 1,199
    There is an old mixte I often see outside Bordeaux St. jean station with a pair of those, along with other period parts. It only has a cheap cable lock...[}:)]
  • Gavin Gilbert
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

How much ?! [:0]

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yes I know, but you're from Yorkshire [:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed
  • I'm intrigued now , how much for the whole bike Gavin ?

• Gavin Gilbert
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

I'm intrigued now , how much for the whole bike Gavin ?

For the Baines I think I'm currently at œ500 and still need a front brake and lever, Noweight 'guards and Webb pedals. Someone else picked up the bill for the paint and chrome so if I get lucky I may get in at under œ1,000

I generally budget for œ1,500 for a project (it's the chrome that costs) but the Hetchins is looking closer to œ2,000 to complete, as it has some rather nice parts bolted to it.

I don't look at these things as the 'cost of a bike'. It's parts of the sports social history and it needs to be preserved.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Gavin, can you mail me a pic of the Webb pedals you need as I have a pair, not sure which they are though. You could have got some deep drop Tektro dual pivots calipers for œ25!
    Sorry im not helping...
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

I lost a pair of Bluemels Noweight 'guards

are they rare/ valuable?
  • Gavin Gilbert
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hubgearfreak</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>

I lost a pair of Bluemels Noweight 'guards

are they rare/ valuable?

If my research is correct Noweights came in variants for wheel size, colour and the front one can be a flat or spearpoint. For my machine I need a white, spearpoint for 26" wheels.

What's more I need them to be either New Old Stock or in a condition where I can restore them back to pristine (I have done this with the black Noweights on my Bates). So in that context, yes - an rare item.

As for value - if I am <i>very very </i>lucky then some will turn up at a cycle jumble. But the only set I've seen on ebay went for $270.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Built for speed
  • hubgearfreak
    hubgearfreak Posts: 480
    If my research is correct Noweights came in variants for wheel size, colour and the front one can be a flat or spearpoint. For my machine I need a white, spearpoint for 26" wheels.

i never knew it.
    i have a pair of white spearpoint noweights in't shed of doom...came off my c.1960 RRA, but 27", obviously
  • What happens to these bikes which you restore Gavin ?

• 2muchCake
    2muchCake Posts: 539
    Bloody hell!!

For that sort of money you could have carbon and Ti [;)]