CarraDry Panniers

TomB1960
TomB1960 Posts: 19
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=

This seems a demon deal from Spa Cycles. Does anyone have any first hand experience of these panniers? Oppinion seems divided between 'waterproof' and 'breathable' panniers. I must admit I was leaning towards the breathable variety, but then this seems such a bargain. I'd be interested to hear the views of others.

Comments

• TomB1960
    Sorry I messed up the link. Essentially they are offerring rear panniers, front panniers, and a bar bag for œ132-00!
  • http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s74p768

yes I saw those as well. I am in the same dilema as you seem to be at the moment.. waterproof or breathable...I think I will probably end up going for the breathable carradice overlanders, cheaper and I think they are lighter...but then they wont be if they get wet[:D]

I also like the higher visability of the orange option they do.
    I remember getting a severe soaking for about 5 hours cycling down to Paris when i was younger. I only had some really cheap bottom end panniers and some rubbish sacks....mostly it all stayed dry then, and I'm not going to the amazon rain forests so....

My dilema though is the fitting of the front panniers onto my blackburn custom low rider cages

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4581/320blackburncustomloridtk9.jpg
    ...the type with the converging poles that for a triangle. They need the pannier clips to be positioned closer together to avoid the welded wider section on the frame. I asked the shop but not got a definative answer as to how to do this yet.
    Gravity sucks
  • got a definative answer thos morning...Yes they will fir but I need to fit a thinner clip on the front pannier....hmm...will it hold the weight me thinks???
    Gravity sucks
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

got a definative answer thos morning...Yes they will fir but I need to fit a thinner clip on the front pannier....hmm...will it hold the weight me thinks???
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Adjust the loading so that the panniers have the lightest items in them. More weight in them makes the steering more sluggish anyway......
  • TomB1960
    I have e-mailed Carradice direct (very helpful) They claim that their front panniers will fit on a Blackburn Lowrider rack if you stipulate that you want Klickfix pannier hooks rather than the usual C-system. The chap at SJS (also very helpful) suggested that a bit of bending anf filing can make most modern panniers fit this frame! I'll keep you up to date with my progress Bigtallfatbloke!
  • Ta.
    I think we are having similar conversations with them...they both said the same thing to me. Carradice even sent me a sample Klickfix clip to test out. They will fit because the Klick fix has an aluminium rack on the pannier bag which allows you to move the position of the clips (in my case make them narrower). "A bit of bending and filing"...hmmm...I dont think so, not at that price and on a bike like mine...I want it to bloody work without any heath robinsons) Those overlander panniers are cheaper elsewhere than they are with Carradice though...but they are exceedingly helpful
    Gravity sucks