pompino as winter trainer / commute?

DLemon
DLemon Posts: 18
edited July 2007 in Road general
I'm thinking of buying a pompino pro (or possibly a pearson) as a winter commute / training bike. My commute is 10miles in each direction, a little traffic in Derby city centre, but also a straight flat section and a 12% gradient to climb home through country back roads. I usually do this in summer on a nice road bike, and in winter an older mtb.

I also want to use the bike for weekend riding when the weather is wet to avoid wrecking my road bike too much. I'm just a little worried that I might find the bike annoying like riding into the wind. There is little possibility of trying before buying, and the same money could get be a geared winter training bike.

I just like the idea of keeping it simple, mudguard clearances, a sealed headset, and something a little different too.

Has anyone else had similar reservations before going to fixed / single speed and how did this compare to reality?

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• Ravenbait
    Ravenbait Posts: 13,064
    I now ride fixed for preference.

I have a Pompino.

I think that gives you your answer [:D].

Sam

<font size="1"><font color="teal">The cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley:</font id="teal">

http://ravenfamily.org
    <font color="purple">"<u>You</u> might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"</font id="purple">

http://gentlemencyclists.org/clubhouse
    <font color="purple">"Ya'd think we could just attract ants, like normal people."</font id="purple"></font id="size1">

http://ravenfamily.org
    "You might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"
    http://gentlemencyclists.org
    "Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."
  • the pompino is designed as that type of bike,

i went singlespeed on my mountain bike (coincidently an on one inbred) that was at christmas and partially through financial necesity,

its still singlespeed and i love the simplicity of it
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    I'm in a similar position to you - but i commute 6 miles each way, through Derby city centre.

I have a Pompino - not a Pro - bought a frame and fork and built it up with bits. Its excellent - use it all year round for training runs, including hills. Before the Pomp i used a fixed wheel track bike - which was good, but the Pomp is more comfortable and has safer handling

Fixed is ideal for into a headwind - it helps with maintaining a rhythm.

You can have a go if you want - just pm me - mines a medium - 52cm i think.
    jim

jc
    jc
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yup - fixed is fab !
  • smiorgan
    smiorgan Posts: 195
    I geared up (ho ho) for fixed riding by riding my 12 mile commute in one gear on my nice bike, and tried not to coast at all. Inferior to riding fixed, but gives you an idea if you can hack the commute. I used 42x15 on my nice bike, then built up a fix from an old Raleigh on 42x16. The bits from said fix are now waiting to go on a pompino frame - had I known then how much I would like it I would have bought a pomp straight away (OTOH building up a fixie has taught me a lot more about bikes)
  • DLemon
    Thanks chaps for the advice! I think I've made up my mind and it's a pompino, while on-one still have them instock and on offer at œ499.

Thanks Jim C for the offer of trying too, but I think I'll just go for it.

Ideal for days like today when I'm not sure if the heavens are going to open.
  • boxheadcp
    boxheadcp Posts: 161
    Been using a Pompino Pro to get to work on for nearly a year now.

Doing about 120 miles a week on it.

Using 48:18 which lets me clear all the hills on my commute

Swapped the brakes over to V's for a bit more braking power, apart form a new front rim, that's it!

Again if you want to try before you buy (mine is a medium too(I am 5-10) drop me a pm if you are Midland based.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    You know, I've done the opposite to Smiorgan - bought a pompino first and have since built up my own with an old Raleigh 531 frame. The Raleigh is hands down winner over the pomp, lighter, geometry suits me better, prefer calipers to cantis etc. But it is nowhere near as flexible as the pomp in terms of fittings (rack etc.) and tyre clearance.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Just to be contrary to Graham G. I had an old Raleigh 10 speed which gave me too much bother with worn sprockets , chain slipping then snapping etc... I decided to go fixed and bought a Pompino Pro at Xmas and find it far superior to the old Raleigh in every respect. The only critisism is the canti brakes which I plan to change and perhaps that the frame sizes are Small/Medium/Large etc.. so you may need to swap stems to get a good position. The headset came with a few spacers which you can use to alter the height. I find it gives a very comfortable ride (especially with the carbon fork) and is an excellent climber. I use 48:20 to make sure i get up the hills round here. I am amazed at the hills I can get up on it.
    It's definitely made me fitter. I'm more cautious in traffic and descending than on a geared bike. All in all, great all rounder and ideal for your purposes. I still use it in the summer when the weather is poor.
  • 2muchCake
    2muchCake Posts: 539
    The Pomp is the dog's danglies - I'd hate to be without mine. It's handled everything I've thrown at it brilliantly.

• DLemon
    I've gone for the pompino, and it should be on a delivery van at this very moment!

Cheers
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Pomp rocks! As others have said the brakes do suck a bit. Changed mine for super-reliable, shiny silver Tektro Oryx (have same on my cross bike). Now it's all good.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

• rustychaincp
    rustychaincp Posts: 235
    Just make sure you tighten the cranks in accordance with Truvativ's recommendations (see the SRAM web site for the tech download).
  • pete236uk
    pete236uk Posts: 58
    I have a pomp and love it I changed one side to singlespeed as few hills which are ok but going down them is not so good but I am big guy and wheels have been great

peter
    peter
  • DLemon
    Got pompino on Friday. Problem is on one didn't fit any sprockets and forgot wheel nuts. [:(]

Bike shop sorted me out with a 18T Freewheel and some track nuts.

Took quite a bit of setting up, but climbs are amazing! Did two 12% hills taht are on my commute and managed them faster than ever before.

The ride is so smooth, and the bike is about as light as my road bike.

Problem is the brakes. OK when the track sprokets arrive it'll be fixed, giving more braking, but despite shortening the link wire to gain more "mechanical advantage" (Sheldon Brown), and lots of tweaking the brakes aren't that powerful. I don't understand this as the C+ review reckoned these brakes were the moet powerful out of similar bikes tested?

Haven't done a commute yet until brakes are sorted.
  • boxheadcp
    boxheadcp Posts: 161
    I had the same problem with the brakes on mine, I put it down to me not being able to set them up properly and being used to MTB brakes.

Sheldon's website does offer some good advice, but if like me you fail, have a look at getting some cheap V brakes and some Dia Compe 287V ;-)
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Get a set of Tektro Oryx. Got mine from Dotbike for œ36 a set. Great stopping power and no need to change levers. Don't bother persevering with the On One brakes; I fiddled with mine for about a year without success.

• petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    I also have a Pompino, getting it last year with my bike to work scheme. I do agree the brakes are poor but never got round to replacing them, as learning to decelerate the back wheel is an essential skill on a fixer. For me, the tube lengths and angles are spot on and it feels fast but can't help feeling that the bike itself is very heavy. I recently bought a cheap track frame from ebay and built a fixed winter trainer come TT machine from scratch. Not only did I learn a hell of a lot but the bike I've put together, i would say, is much lighter, stiffer and just as comfortable. Time will tell if its as durable, but no complaints so far.