Rear Deraileur Shifting Problems

MorayMan
MorayMan Posts: 4
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have just bought the Big Blue Book by Park and decided to change my rear cassette, gear cables and chain on my mountain bike. I have put it all together and when I change gear on the rear deraileur it goes about 3 gears at a time. So 3 clicks takes me from bottom to top. It is a 7 speed cassette and a shimano acer deraileur. I have grip shift which came with the bike 14 years ago. The bike is a Cannondale M400. I have checked all the books and cannot find a solution. It seemed ok before I started, I have been on my road bike mostly and thought I would get my Mtn Bike going again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MorayMan

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    What speed was your bike before you made the changes?
  • MorayMan
    7 speed. It was a one for one swap of all the bits. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    All shifters pull a precise ammount of cable per shift which is matched to the paralelogram of the rear mech to give a certain sideways movement of the mech cage. If your mech cage is consistently moving too far per shift either:-

-the shifter is pulling in too much cable (seems unlikely)

-the cable is attatched to the rear mech at the wrong position. This would affect the ammount the mech moves for a given ammount of cable movement.

Have a look at where you have clamped the cable on the rear mech, although i would be supprised if you could make that large a difference by clamping the wrong side of the screw.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • MorayMan
    Thanks, I'll have a look. It's probably going to be something simple but getting a bit frustrated after a couple of hours. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow when I've got a clear head and it's not raining.

Thanks again, Garybee

Any other suggestions greatly received.