Mini U-Locks - Too Small?

Smoothie
Smoothie Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hello folks,

I've just been looking into getting a decent D/U-lock for my bike, and was persuaded by a certain Sheldon to look into the mini locks made by Kryptonite, OnGuard, etc. At the moment I'm interested in the OnGuard Bulldog Mini, which seems to be in the SoldSecure 'Silver' class - although I couldn't find it on the site - so it should be a decent lock.

However, I'm a little concerned about the possibility of it being too small - does anyone have experience with them? I'd be locking it with Sheldon's method to purpose-built bike bars (those metal ones that look like upside-down U's), so I imagine it should be ok, I'd just hate to buy one off t'internet and find it too small to lock it to anything!

Cheers,
Rob
elephant...astic?

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Hi Rob,

I use this mini lock also silver rated, and I'm quite happy with it - I even managed to lock my wife's and my bike to a bike rail [:D] so it's not so small. I think it is just about pefect size.

Rick
  • Don't spend more than the bike cost, Rob!

d.j.
    "Not much to see,
    Not much left to lose"
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    They're fine, I use Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit mini and can recommend it. Trouble with really solid locks is they are heavy to lug around. Hence advantage of mini.

Buy a good cable as well.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbyers</i>

They're fine, I use Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit mini and can recommend it. Trouble with really solid locks is they are heavy to lug around. Hence advantage of mini.

Buy a good cable as well.

Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is a really good / heavy lock - If I lived in London or I had to leave my bike in train stations and similar places I would have bought that mini lock. And I fitted pitlocks to my bike to do away with the cable. I also have a really good alarm fitted to it.

It's not an expensive bike but I would hate to get it nicked, and if I ever change my bike I can use the mini lock, pitlocks and alarm with a new bike [:D]

Rick
  • Smoothie
    Smoothie Posts: 7
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I just came across this on eBay - http://tinyurl.com/3xwmpw - which seemed like a good deal, but after asking the seller, it turns out that it doesn't come with the mounting bracket. Typical.

As Dave suggested, I'm not going to spend too much on a lock - the bike itself was under œ100, second hand - so I think I might just keep an eye out for any used mini locks that come up in the future. Unfortunately, I'll need to lock my bike up at my college, which is in quite a rough area of Nottingham. They've got a locked bike shelter, but even that's had bikes nicked from it in the last term from people who just walk in from the estates.
    elephant...astic?
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    is this any use to you...?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19088

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***