Chain cleaning?

warren7
warren7 Posts: 16
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, just a quick question-
Roughly after how many miles/how often should i clean my chain just riding on average roads? Thanks!

Comments

• CraigUKcp
    CraigUKcp Posts: 1,209
    Warren, it really depends on what conditions you are riding in. During the middle of winter when the roads are covered in grit and grime and everywhere is wet I take mine off and clean it after every ride. In the summer I clean it around once a week or so. I'm probably a bit anal about chain cleaning but if you have a SRAM power link or similar it's a quick job.

<b>My Bikes</b> Van Nicholas Quest Giant MTB

My Ebay
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    I'd echo what Craig said. If you fit a SRAM link on your chain (relatively straight forward providing you have a chain tool) it's very quick to take the chain off. All I do, is take it off and soak it in Muc-off, rinse with water, dry, put it back on the bike and lube.

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    With a SRAM link, you don't need a chain tool!
  • you do know the sram 'powerlinks' don't come apart on 10 speed chains?
    The connex wipperman links do, but they cost a bit

I don't like splitting chains, so a chain cleaner works for me.
    How often? mucky winter rides=every ride. summer rides=when it needs doing,which is when it looks manky

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

you do know the sram 'powerlinks' don't come apart on 10 speed chains?
    The connex wipperman links do, but they cost a bit

I don't like splitting chains, so a chain cleaner works for me.
    How often? mucky winter rides=every ride. summer rides=when it needs doing,which is when it looks manky

Mleh Mleh Mleh
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SRAM 10 speed powerlink that can be opened

Rick
  • Would a "powerlink" be ok on a hub gear bike?
  • yes it would Matt

I'm not sure that sram 'powerlinks' do come apart on 10speed chain you know Rick

lifted from velo news :

" ....the linking system is always the weakest link, but our 9-speed PowerLink is as strong as the surrounding links. We wanted to do the same with the connector link in our 10-speed chain, but because of the constraints of the narrow chain, we made it a permanent connection....
    ...It locks in by hand like the PowerLink, but if the rider wants to open the chain, he must do so at a different link and then install another PowerLock link to close it up again. The 1070 chain is the base model, the 1090 chain has hollow pins, and the 1090R also has hollow outer plates..."

Thats not my opinion. Those are the words of Mr Mark Pippin, SRAM's product manager for cranks, chains and cogs

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Just buy KMC chains and avoid the whole issue. There is definitely something odd going on regarding the SRAM 10sp links. Why make one that doesn't come apart? But all the initial publicity was saying that they were permanent, and they did give it a different name... very odd.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • Forgive the ignorance, but what is a KMC chain and how does it "avoid the issue" of chain cleaning?
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Sorry, I was still on the SRAM issue. KMC are just another make, whose 10 speed chains definitely are easily removable.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ditto Craig - I clean mine every ride in winter and just oil it most weekends in summer - I am to clean it every 100-200 miles.

I don't remove my chain though - Just whizz it though a Chain Doctor brush thing attached to a can of chain cleaner, hose, dry then re-lube.