TDF in London/Kent.

olympus593
olympus593 Posts: 22
edited June 2007 in Pro race
This years London start seems to be almost upon us, would me interested in what peoples plans were? I live 20 miles north of London so the Prolouge with out bike makes sense, but cant decide what to do for the first stsge with the bike, where to park up and ride in the morning? where to catch race, maybe in a couple of places? And if its worth trying to head to Canterbury for the finish? your thoughts......

Comments

• Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    Canterbury will be a b*gger to park, and there'll be road closures on from 10.a.m. for barriers to be put up etc, so if you're trying to watch in a couple of places on the route you'll have to plan for these. There are some great places for viewing the last 2km. I'd recommend getting onto the city wall by Dane John Gardens - it will be open, and numbers only restricted on healthy safety grounds. I'll be riding in from Herne Bay at around 08.00, because I have to - the train service is pretty good to the Kent Coast and Whitstable/Herne Bay are only 7 ish miles away. Hope this helps - should be a great day.

Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for a hill if I were you - anywhere else and they'll be through to fast. Finish will be a pain if you have a bike with you.
  • The finish will be totally packed solid, as will the last mile or two through Canterbury. The Finish i suspect will be taken up with some temporary stands, so i'm not hedging my bets on seeing it there.

i think i might head down to Farthing Common to watch it.
    But then again, i was thinking of watching the hilly bit over Tenterden, then riding back to Canterbury to see them ride down Stone Street. I was pulling 30 plus there the other day, so they'll be going quick at that point, which be fun.

one thing i do know. it won't be coming back for a while, so its worth making an effort [:)]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    I live in South London, so my thoughts are to ride out to somewhere around the Tonbridge way, watch the rece go through and then hopefully find a pub that is showing the race (it should be live on ITV??).
    I'm not totaly cofident about the second part of the plan as we do not live in Belgium.

We'll kick against the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

i think i might head down to Farthing Common to watch it.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That would be the fourth cat climb listed as "The Col De Farthing Common" would it?

Starngely amusing seeing British hills re-named in French in the Tour literature.

Take care,

Steve.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • it is really steep!!

I rode it the other day, i don't think it will cause the pro's much trouble [;)]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    Goudhurst; nice short steep little hill with a sharp corner through the village; churchyard should be a good spot.
    Parking will be awkward for anybody thinking of driving though.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... rst,+Kent+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf
  • Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    There'll be a big screen thing showing the whole stage in Canterbury - a short jog from where the race passes. For those with an other half and children there are events - bands and stuff around Canterbury city centre. Abandon them and fight for a place on the walls....

• jorhys
    jorhys Posts: 37
    Point of information. South East Trains, in its infinite wisdom, will not accept any bikes on the day, other than folding or bagged bikes. So if you want to cycle to watch the race, you'll have to be prepared to cycle home too!
  • Chris42
    Chris42 Posts: 809
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jorhys</i>

Point of information. South East Trains, in its infinite wisdom, will not accept any bikes on the day, other than folding or bagged bikes. So if you want to cycle to watch the race, you'll have to be prepared to cycle home too!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's not just that day its Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday.
    To allow space for more cycling fans!!!!!!!!!!

Joined up thinking Ah!

must ride hills must ride hills!
    delete me from this crap forum
  • mattmcp
    mattmcp Posts: 166
    Just in case you haven't read the 'Riding on the Course - TDF in the UK' thread - see reply I received yesterday from Kent Highway Services who are looking after the roads in conjunction with the police and organisers. Nobody will be allowed to ride on the roads once the road closures are in place from between 07.30-08.30 on the day of the race:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The rules and regulations for road closures in the UK are very different to those applied in France. Once the roads are officially closed by Kent County Council in accordance with the road closure timeline we will not allow anybody to travel along the roads other than official Tour de France vehicles. Therefore you will not be allowed to ride your bike on the race route during the road closure times. Should you wish to ride
    the race route on the Sunday 8th July it will have to be arranged to commence and finish before or after the road closure timings.

The only other access onto the highway network during the road closure timings will be by foot using the dedicated footpaths alongside the race route.

These restrictions are put in place purely for the safety of the traveling public and the workforce working inside the road closures putting out the necessary equipment and infrastructures along the race route.

I trust you understand the reasons for these restrictions and that you continue to make arrangements to visit Kent on the 8th July and enjoy the day.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://sportsbiz.wordpress.com

http://sportsbiz.wordpress.com