Cunego...fatigue?

redbicycle
redbicycle Posts: 271
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Someone tell me how it is that Damiano Cunego has been pulled from the start list for le Tour (reason given "fatigue") and yet he is currently racing in the Tour de Suisse? So...how does that work? - he's going to be tired? He is currently fatigued but will race the mountainous Swiss tour anyway? His fatigue will peak during the tour but he's not currently tired??????!!!!! The situation is quite strange...

Comments

• He knows he'll be able to manage a one week stage race with no expectations on him, but realises that he does not have enough form and energy to endure three weeks in the daddy of them all?

TdG
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Precisely that, he said he would be able to race a week but not three at this point in time
  • On one hand people want to see an end to doping, yet on the other riders are criticised when they try to ride a balanced calendar. You can't have it both ways.
  • squiredcp
    squiredcp Posts: 964
    Right from the start of the season Cunego said he wouldn't do the Tour this year, only the Giro. I'm assuming he would have cited fatigue however he was feeling, as people will always ask for a reason given that he didn't win the Giro, or even finish on the podium.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    He's probably cautious after his bout of glandular fever or whatever it was a couple of years ago - it might not be that he is fatigued now but experience tells him if he does the Giro, Tour de Suisse and the TdF then he wont be doing himself any favours.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What squired said. He even said as far back as last year's Tour that he would only be riding one grand tour this year.
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    I hope he does have some petrol on the tank left...

Imagine how Gibo and Simoni will illuminate the mountain stages trying to out do each other[:p]
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    For me at his age he should be going for the Giro and Tour, it was common place before so its no biggy imo. He shouldnt be avoiding the biggest race in the world at his age. Say he misses out next year for injury thats another Tour missed, this tired thing sounds very much like a desire to avoid a whupping , to be honest i dont think he is as good as he thinks he is.

cheers
    Mg

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mr Bumble</i>

Imagine how <font color="red">Gibo and Simoni </font id="red">will illuminate the mountain stages trying to out do each other[:p]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    [?]

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • I think it is a shame to see a 25 year old of Cuengo's potential miss the big one in July. The Giro was used as preparation for the TDF by guys like Lemond and Fignon in the 1980s-regarded as the best preparation. Cunego's enthusiasm for the TDf isn't so great perhaps, with him being Italian-they go for their home tour more

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    Maybe he has nothing left in the syringe ?

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Keith Oates</i>
    <i>Originally posted by Mr Bumble</i>

Imagine how <font color="red">Gibo and Simoni </font id="red">will illuminate the mountain stages trying to out do each other[:p]
    [?]

Errr... Typo... you know what I mean:

Cunego attacks and Gibo will just not let the whippersnapper seek an ounce more glory if he can help it....[:p]
  • offthepace
    offthepace Posts: 357
    Why would he care about the tour? He has already missed out in the biggest stage race in the world (as far as Italians are concerned)

Born to be half wheeled
    Born to be half wheeled
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by offthepace</i>

Why would he care about the tour? He has already missed out in the biggest stage race in the world (as far as Italians are concerned)

Born to be half wheeled

I dont think even the most fervent Italian would ever think the Giro was the biggest stage race in the world, more important to them maybe but bigger ..........never in a million years. As for why would he care about the Tour are you kidding he is a stage race riding Pro there is big bucks to made by performing well in the Tour. Like it or not it it is thee race as far as the majority of the world is concerned .

cheers
    MG

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !