The End of Traffic Jams & Congestion?

2»

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

I think if they want to legislate against this sort of modded car stuff, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Construction and Use Regulations (and they're prescriptive [;)]) are pretty comprehensive and limit what can be done by way of modding.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unfortunately there is no taste clause in the regulations.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Parliamentary Draftsmen (the lawyers who actually write legislation) would have baulked at that.
  • One thing i will say to you lot is that i'm no chav, i wasn't brought up in a ****ty estate, nor did my parents drive ****ty cars (my mum had a triumph tr4), I did something different just like i have to my bikes, i'd rather throw my money at something that should of been better in the first place.

Also Joe sacco, at least i dont drive around in ****ty dagenham dustbins or crappy vauxhalls like other chavs do.

I'd rather drive cars last longer and go that bit faster. sorry.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z241/ashh2_album/
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>
    i'd rather throw my money at something that should of been better in the first place.

Am I the only one who thinks of the phrase "throwing good money after bad" here..? Not quite sure why that line is meant to be a good thing. Why not just spend the money on something better in the first place?

Sorry HW if we've offended you. I just happen to think that most 'modded' cars look stupid, and that all the modifications made for speed etc are just pointless. If that's what you want to throw your money at, that's up to you. I'm afraid, if you buy into a certain image, people are going to assume you fit into a certain group. I happen to like Steam fairs - if that makes you think I'm a cider swilling beardy with a beer belly and no social skills, well, so be it, I will continue to enjoy what I enjoy, knowing you're wrong, and I won't feel the need to swear about it. I suspect someone touched a nerve there...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Sorry arch i didn't mean to go off on one mate, it's just a passion i have (cars), i get upset sometimes of being tarnished with the same brush as everyone else.

• jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonp</i>

I'm sure the rule will <b>only be applied in the spirit in which it is intended,</b> though I notice the lawyers among us are already thinking through all the implications.

And I see an army of lawyers rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all the œœœs they'll be raking in from defence costs.

<font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">

Like the stop and search under the Terrorism Act 2000, which isn't used against terrorists but against random people because it's easier to stop someone under that than PACE?

Like the POA 1986 brought in to prevent rioting, currently being used in the higher courts to prevent critical mass?

Like Charlotte Denis, arrested over wearing a "Bollocks to Blair" t-shirt under the provisions or legislation designed to prevent obscenity?

Maya Anne Evans, convicted under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (designed to prevent terrorism) for a one-person peaceful protest at the Cenotaph?

Oh yes, there's a staunch tradition of only applying the law in the spirit it was dreamt up in....

Fair point - so we'll wait for the first funeral procession to be arrested <i>en masse</i> then ... [;)]

• HW this may be something you grow out of! I used to be the same in my teens and early twenties. Now i switch off Top Gear as just not interested.

Actually having 4 children and no money probably had something to do with it.

I would rather spend œ6K on a bike now.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by halfords wizzkid</i>

Sorry arch i didn't mean to go off on one mate, it's just a passion i have (cars), i get upset sometimes of being tarnished with the same brush as everyone else.

Sorry, you are not a chav. You just have no taste [:)]
  • I have got taste!! just look at darcy!![:p], my sadly missed Specialized Roubaix Comp[V] and the gorgeous Ferrari F355 F1[}:)]

• Ha ha, comedy thread tangent HWK![:)]

I'm not sure that modding a Suzuki Swift can be considered good or bad taste. I reckon it moves beyond mere 'taste' and into 'fetish' category![;)]
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Wizzkid,
    got any tips on hotting up the wifes Toyota Starlet...? I'm bored being blown away by scooters at the lights...how much would I have to spend to match my VFR750R?...I like that head-of-the-Hoover front end 'Mumps and spots' look-its cool...how much will the tupperware set me back? [;)][:)][:p]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• well tupperware would set you back about œ10 or less, and toyota starlet you can turbo charge them if its a 1.3 litre engine.

You will need to spend at least œ450,000 to beat a vfr750r ie with a saleen s7 from america, it'll crack 240mph and 0-60 in 3.2 secs dead!!

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    The only way you'll achieve a higher speed in any vehicle is to change the gearing. You'll get a bit more top end depending on how much you exceed to rev limit by, but not much. Additional power will give you more acceleration only. Of course, if you change the gearing for higher speed then you lose acceleration.

You won't need to spend too much to beat a VRF750. If you don't count off the line acceleration there are a lot of cars that will hold there own against bikes with roll on power. Anything with more than say 300BHP will be enough. Also, a well set up car will corner a lot quicker than a bike.

For the record I don't own a car, just two motorcycles and several bicycles. The bikes are a 929 Fireplace that I use to commute on and a 79 Guzzi for taking apart and putting back together again.
  • Thats true pirahna, well said.

A car tends to have more grip than a motorbike obvioulsy because it has twice as many wheels and a lower centre of gravity again depending on the set-up.

Changing the gearing is extreme, it depends on the available rev range of the car.

Ie Honda VTEC engines tend to go to 10,000 rpm where as some only just touch 5,000 rpm (mainly autos), also suspension is crucial to great handling car, just look at the likes of Lotus or Caterham.

Power is the key, more then 300bhp will kick any bike into the dust unless the bike has anymore then 900cc under its plastic body.

So if you want a decent hot hatch or engine go Japanese or if your rich enough buy a Lotus!!

• To get swiftly back on topic, this is appallingly unnecessary legislation that, as cosmic girl mentioned, is entirely open to abuse and is already covered by plenty of laws.
    No need for this whatsoever.

ps, no Honda (car) engine revs to 10,000rpm as standard.[:D]

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Right mattblackbigboysbmx, if you tend to look into japanese magazines once in a while, you will find that some VTEC lumps do run upto 10,000 rpm as standard, but only on the top end cars such as Honda Civic, Accord Type R's and S2000's that haven't been imported into the UK.

And most japanese tuners such as SPOON can take them to beyond 12,000 rpm as seen in their 2003 special edition Honda Civic Jordan Type R which ran a 2.2 litre VTEC lump with an HKS GTS25TT roller bearing turbo and intercooler kit blasting out 450bhp at 11,850rpm and it hit 176mph with a quarter mile in under 13 secs flat.

Next question please!!

• Gary Askwith
    Has any production car cracked the 100mph average for the IOM TT road circuit yet? [:)]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Has any production car cracked the 100mph average for the IOM TT road circuit yet? [:)]

I had a try last year, but there was a lot of traffic on the road and I couldn't quite manage it. [:D]
  • Yes it has been done, by the famous rally driver Tony Pond in a bog standard Rover 827 Vitesse in 1988.
    He done the average speed of 100mph on his second attempt round the gruelling Isle of Man TT course.

Next question please.[;)]

• Gary Askwith
    The first bike did that in 1957, the first production bike in 1968....the average is now up to 128mph [:)]

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    Just got back from the Festival of Speed and didn't see one Suzuki Swift.

What sort of event do they think they are running, really!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

The first bike did that in 1957, the first production bike in 1968....the average is now up to 128mph [:)]

So Jonh McGuiness doing laps at over 129mph last year in setting the race record didn't count

Nor I suppose did his breaking the 130mph lap this year either.

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666