basso two year ban

Abbers
Abbers Posts: 296
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Former Giro d'Italia champion Ivan Basso received a maximum two-year doping penalty Friday from the Italian cycling federation.
Basso acknowledged involvement last month in the Spanish blood-doping probe, known as Operation Puerto. He confessed to "attempted doping," but said he never actually went through with it.
"I accept the sentence," Basso said. "I'm going to continue to train and plan to return in 2009. I've got to look to the future."
The 29-year-old rider was accused of using or attempting to use a banned substance or method, and "possession of banned substances and methods."
Basso was already suspended for nearly eight months by his teams this year and last, so Friday's penalty will expire on Oct. 24, 2008.
The two-year ban satisfies the request of the International Cycling Union, or UCI, and exceeds the 21-month suspension that Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) doping prosecutors recommended last month for the 2006 Giro winner.
The UCI had said it would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if Basso wasn't banned for two years.

Comments

• He'll still get back to the Giro 09 as it is out of the pro tour. He should be kept to fish and chipper events IMO till 2012

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • JonnyCash
    JonnyCash Posts: 37
    How does a 2 year ban work when Basso will be clear to cycle again in Oct 08.... wasn't he cycling for Discovery this year or was that my imagination!!!!

Shouldn't it be from the last time he raced?!?!
  • Not much different to normal sentances really.

Someone gets say 10 years for something, has to serve 7, can apply for parole after 4 . . . so it's not really 10 then is it!!!!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    [CONI]Hey, it-a was only attempted banning...[/CONI]

*shark-eyed smirk*

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    He will be back but at 31 yeas old and no racing in between, he could find it difficult to get to his previous form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Isn't he also excluded from ProTour for another 2yrs?
  • Yes Phil, ProTour rules clearly state that any rider convicted of doping is banned from signing for a ProTour team for 4 years.

One wonders if the ProTour will still exist in October 2008 though.
  • Koyser
    Koyser Posts: 26
    Since Basso has been found guilty am I correct in thinking that Gibo Simoni is now a 3 time Giro winner? On the same note does Bjarne Riis having his tour title stripped make Jan Ullrich a 2 time TDF winner since he's only ever tested positive for party drugs?

Could get really interesting if Armstrong ever gets anything pinned on him - that would make Ullrich a 6 times winner!
  • except that Ullrich would have been banned if he hadnt 'retired'[}:)]

maybe we should just give the Lantern rouge the yellow jersey in Paris[:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Koyser</i>

Since Basso has been found guilty am I correct in thinking that Gibo Simoni is now a 3 time Giro winner? On the same note does Bjarne Riis having his tour title stripped make Jan Ullrich a 2 time TDF winner since he's only ever tested positive for party drugs?

Could get really interesting if Armstrong ever gets anything pinned on him - that would make Ullrich a 6 times winner!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can't strip Riis of his title as it was more than 8 years ago (statute of limitations).

Basso is a funny one. I don't know what can be done there. Of course an interesting knock on effect would be to shake up last years PTP and strip Mangaman of the title [;)]

TdG
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Good but should have been longer, cheating barsteward!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

Yes Phil, ProTour rules clearly state that any rider convicted of doping is banned from signing for a ProTour team for 4 years.

One wonders if the ProTour will still exist in October 2008 though.

Plus not being in a Pro Tour team doesn't stop somebody riding the
    Giro or Le Tour if they pick the right non Pro Tour team. Just as picking the wrong Pro Tour team might prevent you riding in most of the biggest races. [}:)]

Take care,

Steve.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">The sad fact is, whichever continental team he signs for will probably get a wild card to most races. Let's hope that things are different in 2008 and make things a lot more difficult for him to return.

However, if he admitted it straight away (July 06), he might of been allowed to race in next years tour!

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • But then he wouldn't have got his Discovery contract. Actually does anyone know if teams can recoup monies paid out to cyclists who are subsequently exposed as cheats? Is there a standard clause that's placed in contracts to that effect?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • I'm amazed that discovery channel signed him in the first place , why did they do that ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

I'm amazed that discovery channel signed him in the first place , why did they do that ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Either gullible or stupid, I guess. But then, it has also meant that the Discovery team have been used in the same articles about a blood doping cyclist. That cannot do their chances of finding a new sponsor any favours.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • mmcp
    mmcp Posts: 79
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fuzzy29</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

I'm amazed that discovery channel signed him in the first place , why did they do that ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Either gullible or stupid, I guess. But then, it has also meant that the Discovery team have been used in the same articles about a blood doping cyclist. That cannot do their chances of finding a new sponsor any favours.

Because they knew he was already on the "performance programme" perhaps?