Silly question on waterproofing panniers

Bigtallfatbloke
Bigtallfatbloke Posts: 232
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
...so the cheaper ones arnt waterproof...so couldn't I just spray them with something like water proof shoe spray or something to make them waterproof?

I sent back my Daws panniers and am about to get some of these:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b5s74p42

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b5s74p41

They come with a waterproof liner...but then the bags would be wet and heavy...so...I thought I could spray them and ditch the inners.

...I bet there is a reason why this isn't a popular move already right?[:)]
Gravity sucks

Comments

• pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    No panniers are totally waterproof after a time in a storm or all day in the rain. I find it is good to put your clothes etc. in a plastic bag inside the panniers. I have Carradice Super C panniers made from Cotton Duck material and I spray them with fabsil waterproofing spray once a year, available from most camping shops.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • I believe Ortlieb claim to be waterproof (and people I know who have used them extensively substantiate this), though they obviously will let water in if punctured. Carradice have recently put their own waterproof pannier's on the market (the Carradry) which compete well on price and size c/w Ortlieb (though not on colour choice). I am seriously considering these.

edit: the current "Combi-deal" offer (front, rear and bar bag) for œ132 looks tempting

The downside of waterproof panniers that some people report is that if you put wet/damp stuff in them, it stays that way.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Either buy Ortalieb or buy rubble sacks. Both are waterproof to the degree required on a bike
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

...so the cheaper ones arnt waterproof...so couldn't I just spray them with something like water proof shoe spray or something to make them waterproof?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I use non waterproof panniers lined with rubble sacks. It's a standard trick used by backpackers too. Sparing a fabric bag will not make it waterproof for long.

How much heavier do you think the bags will get?

I don't think you'll notice the difference.
  • I agree with paulus. I pack my gear into poly bags inside panniers. I also sprayed panniers with waterproofing spray. So far this has worked fine on a few wet tours. I've also seen cyclists with sort of 'shower cap' attachments (polythene with elastic edge) covering panniers on wet days.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

I use non waterproof panniers lined with rubble sacks. It's a standard trick used by backpackers too. Spraying a fabric bag will not make it waterproof for long.

How much heavier do you think the bags will get?

I don't think you'll notice the difference.
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    Or for a dedicated product, try something like the neoprene-coated Field and Trek Rucksack Liner - mine has seen regular use for nearly 15 yrs and is still going strong.

<font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">

My baby elephant's got its first wobbly tusk!
    <font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
  • magfos
    magfos Posts: 129
    Having ridden all day in pouring rain and forded streams with water half way up the sides of the panniers, I can say that I'm happy with the waterproofness of my Ortlieb panniers.

check out our website at www.magfos.com for stories and photos of our trips.
    Ride to Live; Live to Ride
    check out our website at www.magfos.com for stories and photos of our trips.
    Ride to Live; Live to Ride
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    Ortlieb are completely waterproof. I met someone who had his bags washed off when fording a river in the Himalaya. He managed to retrieve them about half a mile downstream. All his clothes were bone dry!

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.' Hunter S. Thompson

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I always use fertilizer bags (unused brand new)to line my panniers tied off with reusable zip ties - I can remove everything in one go and leave saturated wet panniers outside where they don't contaminate my - hopefully - dry tent
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I would not say that the sort of yellow pannier covers are less than useless
  • Gatsofan
    Gatsofan Posts: 7
    What are "rubble bags"? Whats wrong with just using black bin liners? ........ inside the panniers obviously!

Why can't women cut cheese straight?
    Why can\'t women cut cheese straight?
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    Best way to waterproof your panniers is to put them inside Ortlieb panniers.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gatsofan</i>

What are "rubble bags"? Whats wrong with just using black bin liners? ........ inside the panniers obviously!

Rubble bags are smaller (more pannier size) heavy duty versions of bin bags. They are less likely to rip and last a lot longer.
    I use totally waterproof panniers by Ortlieb and Vaude. They're great for the stuff that has to stay dry, like sleeping bags, but it's not always an advantage, if you put stuff in damp, it'll remain damp however hot the day becomes. I still end up using plastic bags, to keep wet stuff away from dry, clean separate from dirty and just to keep organised.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    My Vaude panniers are totally waterproof.Why get canvas/polyester type cloth ones when the rubberised ones (Vaude, Ortlieb) are going to be more waterproof.

Only trouble is I've used them so much over the past 8 years they're starting to develop pin holes. Still good value for 8 years use. I also use plastic bags inside to keep things separate. If anything's wet on a sunny day I decorate the back of the bike with my washing. Soon dry. Keep them away from the back wheel. I have no pride me.

But I have a theory. Proved over many years.

"Whatever you want is always in the bottom of the OTHER pannier".

This is provably true even if you stat to search in the "other" pannier first. And even if you double double bluff it etc etc

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    Bin bags,

cheap reliable and last for ages.

If you want to be exotic:

two bin bags one inside the other.

If you want to keep things separate. Two separate bin bags along side each other.

They can also be filled with helium and used to lighten the load - don't forget to attach them to your frame.

Hope this helps.

The last bit is a lie.

Paul

slow is good too
    slow is good too
  • Biffocp
    Biffocp Posts: 10
    not a silly question at all.

Yes use some kind of liner. But as to waterproofing the outside of the panniers, i recolect some one saying Ronseal waterproofing for brick walls would work for tents and such besides being a lot cheaper than the stuff from camping/gear shops,

If you go this way maybe test it on similar material to the panniers first , just in case!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They can also be filled with helium and used to lighten the load<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...this idea I like![:D][:D]
    Gravity sucks