luggage trailers

gladdice
gladdice Posts: 59
edited July 2007 in Road general
I am looking for some advice on buying a trailer to carry my weekly shop home from the super market and maybe use on my trip across europe next year.

i ride an on-one single speed with horizontal drop outs so it needs to fit that.

i will be using it on the road and need to be able to store it easily in my flat.

the two that i have seen are the carryfreedom small y-base and the avenir mule utility, however with the carryfreedom twice the price of the mule has anyone got any experience of using these?

thanks
Joel

Is the hippo for scuba?
Is the hippo for scuba?

Comments

• pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I've had a Bykaboose for a few years now. Had 35kg loads in it. Very light and easy to use. folds flat, attaches to left side of rear axle/QR skewer.

Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    I've a Carry Freedom Y Frame just about to be delivered to Edinburgh cycles in Manchester. We chose it for just the purposes you describe, and I like the fact that you can attach various boxes (or no boxes) to it.

Will keep you posted - collection day is next Sunday.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use the Radical "Cyclone" Basically a holdal on wheels which fits to the axle.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • BShane
    BShane Posts: 56
    My mate just built one of these http://www.wicycle.com/trailer.htm and I use there large cargo which is excellent. Way cheaper than the carry freedom and you can make it any size you like.
  • I use a Bob Yak. Because it only has one wheel it track the bike very nicely and, once you get it rolling, you'd hardly know it's there.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    We've just bought the Edinburgh Bike Co-op copy of the Bob Yak, for œ125 less 20% voucher, ie œ100 rather than œ235 for a Bob.
    I've only towed it empty so far, and other than a bit of rattling which I hope would quieten with a load in it, it seems fine.
    It comes with a holdall, although this isn't seamsealed (job for next weekend...)

Or perhaps it needs a made-to-measure wicker basket ?
    http://www.hembrow.eu/bobyak.html

With the voucher, the price was right.
    But without it, I might have been more tempted by the ExtraWheel, which gets very good reviews and seems a much more sophisticated design than a Bob
    Made in Poland : http://www.przyczepki.pl/
    UK distributor : http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.ph ... 9s318p1681
    œ150 with drybags, œ125 without

But all these single-wheel trailers are probably best for touring (certainly you need one if you go off-road), which is what we want it for and hence why I investigated them.

But I'd say that if you want if for your shopping, take the recycling to the tip, etc then a 2-wheeler is much more stable and will carry heavier weights.

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • andy_wrx
    Edit : post removed - I seem to have managed to quote my own post above ????
  • gladdice
    cheers for the advice.

yep i think a two wheeler is going to be better for my main purposes of going to the shops and stuff.

also i run a single speed so some of the through the axle ones wont work.

still not sure on which one though as the philips/avneir mule is available for œ80 and i thought this might be a good starting point.

Is the hippo for scuba?
    Is the hippo for scuba?
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

I use the Radical "Cyclone" Basically a holdal on wheels which fits to the axle.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I reviewed one of these - it was great! The recent ones at least, have two wheel positions, so you can turn it into a hand trolley for off the bike. And it folds pretty flat for storage, with the wheels popped out.

I'm sure it can be fitted to almost any axle, one way or another..

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • andy_wrx
    And if you can fit a baby elephant into it, Arch, it should be plenty big enough for shopping !

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Cam Carts of Cambridge make what looks like a good sturdy trailer with 20" wheels which will also function as a hand cart. It is not expensive but will not fold. It can be found by googling camcart cambridge cycles - I only saw it after I had bought a version of the phillips mule which someone mentioned - although the mule will fold flat so may be easier to store.
  • In case you do decide on the mule, however, this looks like a good price for what seems to be the same trailer:

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/cargotrail.html

This is a better price than I paid but appears to be the same trailer. It looks to be of good quality and assembled easily, but I havn't used it yet in anger!
  • gladdice
    thanks steve, that was the place i was thinking of buying the mule from.

let me know what you think when you have had a chance to use it.

Is the hippo for scuba?
    Is the hippo for scuba?
  • TimothyO
    TimothyO Posts: 395
    gladdice said:

... also i run a single speed so some of the through the axle ones wont work.

I don't know about the other one wheel trailers, but the Bob Yak can be fitted to solid axles, I use one with a Brompton. SJS Cycles sell Bob Nutz, which are designed for this.

I suspect that a Bob Yak isn't what you are looking for, but axle issues aren't necessarily a limiting factor.

(and yes, it can be "interesting" when unloaded, especially going over speed bumps downhill at speed!)
    Yes, actually it is Rocket Science.
  • rdaviesb
    Well, the trailer has arrived and is suitably tested and covered in crap. It's very stable (although better with a little weight onboard), and copes with £100 food shops very adequately. In short, exactly what it is needed for.
  • rustychain
    rustychain Posts: 19
    I had a look at a Carry Freedom the other week - it seems well made and sturdy. I wasn't too sure how I would attach boxes and the like securely. Any chance of a photo with the trailer set up to carry a weeks shopping?

Ta
  • rdaviesb
    Sure - I'll get some pictures up after the weekend.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have just completed the first half of the trans-Pennine Trail on the Street Machine and trailng the Cyclone.
    Firstly - it is almost waterproof! Pulling through flood water that covers the trailer base did cause some leakage, but nothing apart form dmpness inside.

Secondly, the cover gets damaged by repeatedly being dragged across barriers and through brambles, overgrown hedges etc.

Having said that I think this is probably asking it to perform at the "edge" of it's envelope!
    (Unattributed Trad.)