Helmet, pointy type

palinurus
palinurus Posts: 836
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I'm not going fast enough yet, but I reckon if I can knock another 1 minute off my TT times I think I can justify the wearing of a pointy helmet for the evening 10.

But since I ride to work and ride to the 10 afterwards, what do I do with it?

I guess riding to work in a pointy helmet* isn't really the done thing. Is it OK if I keep to a nice steady, non-competitive, 13 mph? (I guess not)

I could just stuff it in my rucsack of course.

*I'm sure I'll take it more seriously once I've got one, and call it an aero helmet.

Comments

• rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    How fast do you have to be to justify a pointy hat? Just wondering if I deserve one myself...

My Bikes
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Watch out for MTBers on the way back, that would make their day if they passed someone with a TT helmet on!![:D]

SNAPS
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Easy one this - just wear it back to front!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    saw one guy from the london dynamo the other day in the west end.i'm sorry but out in the suburbs maybe,but in central london perlease !!!!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I would just carry the helmet, not wear it. It'd be almost worse than wearing my speedskating skinsuit whilst riding the bike. Mind you I always carry my helmet on the bike, only wear it when skating, and then only sometimes.

Ordinary lycra is OK, but wearing an aero helmet and a skinsuit when not actually racing? That exceeds my own comfort and anti-style lycra tolerance by a WIIIIDDEEE margin.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • palinurus
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rjeffroy</i>

How fast do you have to be to justify a pointy hat? Just wondering if I deserve one myself...

My Bikes
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I was thinking sub. 24 minutes, but I'm not an expert on pointy helmet ettiquette (hence the question). Perhaps this needs it's own thread. Only not in commuting.
  • palinurus
    Just as I thought. I'll have to stuff it in my bag.
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    I got passed (I was slowing for traffic lights) by a guy on a full carbon Cervelo time trial bike (the one with the bent seat tube), deep rim four spoke front and disc rear Zipps, carbon saddle, Carbon and white helmet with the aero visor. On a windy day.

Lucky for him I was turning off 'cause he wasn't getting away from me. [;)]

Thought it a bit dangerous in traffic with a disc wheel in a gusty wind.

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!